MIDIbox of the Week (The MidiSphere by mandingo)

mandingo

Hello to you all.  This project took over 2 years on and off.  It started with a vision of knobs on a ball and went from there.  I'm not that great a writing so I'll just get to the technical stuff. 

The project consisted of:

1 Core Module

1 AIN

1 DIN

1 DOUT

3 Custom pcbs for the buttons.

The buttons which include a red led are from EAO switches.  A bit pricey but what I needed for the look.

The lcd is red which came out pink in the photos was from a surplus store. 

I got the knobs are from digi key.

The case is bent 16g steel powdercoated and silk screened with walnut sides.

The ball is steel as well with the same powdercoating.  The AIN module lives in the ball.

The project is the strait forward MB64 project. 

Thanks to everyone who helped on the board when I was having trouble.

I also made a Seq.  You can check it out at my site www.opticallightpipe.com .

Cheers.

ChuckO.

340_2up_jpgb5ab1c84b6c1465877bd8d468fb77

342_2upBack_jpg07c476884b5e7ae5b1f2f477e

344_CloseupBox_jpg6748f0c0bbea68525d2791

346_Back_jpg76d37a84415ab7db156c4d93263f

Man, you have really artistic aproach. It is very easthetical. Silkscreen - I don`t know if anybody here silkscreaned panels. Walnut sides are also top! Lot of MB builders compromise look with price of components, and I am glad you didn`t. You controler is definitly one of the preatiest I`v ever seen including comerciall ones.

Only thing I dont like is pink display but you explain it is actually red, so it is OK  ;)

I have question for you... I see no joints on the ball ??? Please explain.

Thanks again for some great comments.  Pricing was the reason it took over 2 years.  I would hold on something till I could afford to get it done. Or buy the components.  There was also lots of redesigns as I went along to make things work.  I was luck in the silk screening that I had a friend that could make a screen for me.  I did a lot of trial and error to make that work.  About the 5 shot with the ink finally looked ok. 

The LCD is red and I'll try and get a better picture of that up.  It's not as red as the powdercoat but still more red than pink. 

The construction of the sphere was a tricky one.  I took a 6" steel sphere and cut out a 3" hole in the bottom.  Just enough to get my hand in there.  Then cut all of the holes for the pots.  To close it up I got a 5/8"  thick 3" dia steel disc and counter sunk a screw in the middle.  Inside the sphere, the screw threads into a 4"x1/2" steel strap that just lays in there.  When you tighten it up, it cinches the whole thing closed. 

I was trying to go for an odd retro look as well which is why I used the walnut and crinkle powdercoat. 

As for my website, I am still working on it.  I just wanted to get something up.

Thanks again.

• 2 months later...