Feedback Loop on SID

c0nsumer

What a cool site!

It was only the other day that I had a "what if" thought about routing SID output to input... and then someone's done it (and proved it's worth doing!).

The mod he did to the SID2SID board to use the audio in of the second SID uses a 100k resistor to ground, which I assume is just copying the C64 schematic? TK's SID module uses a 1nF cap to ground. I'm wondering about the difference and whether the 100k resistor would reduce noise even more... he seems to get some really low noise!

That reminds me quite a bit of some of the most fun I've had musically. That is, taking some analog filters, feeding them back on themselves, throwing in some additional effects, and making simply interesting thumpy bouncy dancy sounds. Which were completely impossible to reproduce nor sync with anything. :D

I need to get / build more analog stuff soon...

It's possible, grab your calculator ;)

Well, if I hung a bandpass filter and a freq counter off of it...

Actually, they are Electrix boxes, so they sent their position via MIDI, but I don't think it was accurate enough to reproduce this. The devices are weird and you could tap the knob to change the sound, even though they didn't move enough to send a new position out via MIDI.

I can confirm that a pot in between a SID module's input and output does not blow up the SID  ;D and does make some funky sounds. I've also observed that if you lower the SID's resonance then you can tweak this feedback knob to get better (and more!) resonance, to the point of funky self-oscillation squeal.

What I plan to do now is hack a pot apart and break the resistor strip near the anticlockwise end... so that end is ground, the wiper goes to input, and the clockwise end goes to output. This will make a sort of switch, so when the knob is fully anticlockwise, the input is tied to ground (less noise), otherwise it will range from 1M to 0 ohms as you turn clockwise.

That's another way to implement midi control but the big question is whether the new MBSID has space in a patch to save the feedback levels... If not, then the level couldn't be saved in a patch....However, a DCA or VCA could be set to 0 feedback and switched to ground when a patch is loaded, and set by a CC with just a little extra code, and you could send the CC at the beginning of your song to set the feedback as required.... This is starting to sound like a daughterboard hey?

don't they do pots that have a 'click-off' setting? like with radios, you turn it fully anticlockwise until it clicks to turn off the radio, but if it's on, the pot just does volume.

Yeah, but I haven't found one with a good range... it needs to be at least 500k, and dual gang...

Also note that any kind of feedback, even feedback going in through 1 Mohm, introduces noise... there's a distinctly audible difference in noise between a grounded input and input connected to output through 1 Mohm.

From my initial playing with this new knob, I don't anticipate the need to automate its setting, I doubt I'll be tweaking it during live playing or recording... but I've noticed controlling the SID filter resonance can tweak how much the feedback has an effect - it's like they get multiplied together or something, I'm no filter expert... but maybe tweaking the resonance parameter is enough for most people.

I fully recommend spending a couple bucks on a 500k or 1M pot and giving it a go...

I doubt I'll be tweaking it during live playing or recording...

Ahh but what about loading patches? That's the real reason to want to save it or control it by midi....

it's like they get multiplied together

That'll be the log curve on the outputs, the resonance is a peak and gets amped more... Maybe... I think ;)

yeah, probably not dual ganged for stereo though... I know what the ideal solution is, it's just a matter of finding these perfect pots... my DIY solution is cheap and involves no hunting around for ages, which frankly I am sick of doing, I still can't find 22nF polystyrene caps, or <2% tolerance silver mica caps, or ultra bright diffused 3mm green LEDs, or knobs like TK's MB-SID...  ;)

Just a thought but...

what if we put something in the feedback loop?

some ideas:

1. noise gate - well, obvious one...

2. microdelay - i think this could sound interesting. think of comb filters. (easy circuit?)

3. overdrive/compresoor - well... hehe...

4. amplitude modulation by the external filter input - this could be another easy circuit. and very powerful i think.

• 6 months later...

Update: I've had a lot of fun with this feedback loop in my MB-SID, and thought I'd share some knowledge.

First up, you don't need to follow the wiring like shown in that first link... he's obviously wanting to switch between using an external input, grounding the input, and adding feedback.

The easiest way to try out the feedback, but still ground your input most of the time, is to connect a pot with the SID Audio Input (J4:I on SID module) to the middle pin of the pot (the wiper), and the SID Audio Output (J3:O on SID module) to the clockwise pin, and ground (J4:Vs on SID module) to the counter-clockwise pin. This way, if the pot is fully counter-clockwise, the audio in is grounded (just like that jumper you put on J4) and if fully clockwise, it's maximum feedback. So when you're not using the feedback, it's just as good as grounding the audio input with a jumper.

I use dual-gang 500K audio taper pots (for stereo SIDs), but you can use a single-gang, or linear taper, or even change from 500K, perhaps 1MOhm might be just as good.

Then go and turn on Ext In on the filter  ;D  You also get different results by turning down the Resonance to 25-ish (don't just leave it at max!) and then turning up the feedback to almost max, then modulate cutoff with an LFO of rate 66 and then tweak depth and cutoff...  :o  Of course it can also add some distortion if you turn off Ext in on the filter.

• 5 weeks later...