Ultra Basic MIDIBox SID CS

toneburst

Just testing the water here, but how difficult would it be to create a MBSID with the following very basic controls?

• 16x 1 LCD displaying patch name and number

• inc/dec or encoder to change patches

I'm thinking of making a very simple SID synth as a gift for a friend (who incidentally has a cat named Syd, so I'd probably call it the 'SydSID Synth' or something similar).

Alex

Hi Alex,

1x16 LCDs are not much cheaper than 2x16 LCDs, and the patch name has 16 characters - so I would consider a 2x16 LCD. You will see the MIDI channel as well, which is a useful information.

The "datawheel" modifies the patch by default within the main screen, so that no software changes are required

Best Regards, Thorsten.

Thanks for getting back to me TK!

I only thought of the 16 x1 LCD idea because I came across an old pager while doing a bit of tidying-up.

16x2 would be a better bet though, you're right.

If I just added inc/dec buttons, rather than an encoder (using a DIN1X presumably) would I still not have to change any MIOS code for basic patch-change functionality?

Cheers,

Alex

http://www.toneburst.net

For Inc/Dec buttons you need to set the "CS_MENU_USE_INCDEC_BUTTONS" switch to 1

For a 1x16 LED you need to change the display layout under cs_menu.inc, "CS_MENU_Handler_Init_MainPage" and "CS_MENU_Handler_MainPage" (sorry that the code is located at two different places, but this was to save performance)

Best Regards, Thorsten.