10MGH crystal

Guest nomadicWhale

Guest nomadicWhale

Hi,

Bought a new crystal for mios. it reads:

ECS

Is this good for the core?

I downloaded the bootstrap and burt it to the pic. I expected the  "F0 00 00 7E 40 00 01 F7" message to aprear (using midi-ox) but it doesn't.

The core worked fine with the 16F and the 20.000.

Any ideas?

Thanks

Guest nomadicWhale

to my great disappointment they didn't even know what I'm talking about...

Anything else I can do to verify the type of the crystal I have?

Guest pkstone

(How to tell parallel from series crystals)

It wasn't immediately obvious to me either, but in the Digikey catalog, I noticed that crystals were either labeled "series", or given a capacitance value (e.g. 18 pF) in the column "load capacitance".  The ones that aren't labeled series are the parallel ones.

I have a question, though.  What is an acceptable load capacitance for the 18F 10 MHz crystal?  I see one in Digikey (part #X443-ND) that has a load cap. of 18 pF.  Is that okay, or does it call for an adjustment to the value of the caps connected to the crystal in the MBHP core schematic?

Phil Stone

The only way to verify the crystal is to use an oscillator and a scope, or to ask the manufacturer :-/

However, the PIC should run with a different frequency, that means: a LED hooked to MIDI Out should flicker during startup. Just only the MIDI receiver will not regognize the MIDI events because of the baudrate mismatch.

Capacitance of the crystal: doesn't really matter here, it's only relevant for radio applications. 15 pF are fine

Best Regards, Thorsten.

Guest nomadicWhale

Most of the people that sell electronics don't know the nuance (series/parallel cut). They know only one type of crystal and it is with series cut. :-[

Well, at least I know the problem is with the crystal and not with somthing else.