simple LED array

peeddrroo

hi all

i'm new to this forum.

i'd like to design a simple (or so do i think) display device. the aim is to have an array of LEDs (i think 8x8 is a max), that would react to midi note on messages. ie C3 would light up LED1, D3 LED2 and so on.

i don't want buttons or knobs or anthing, it's just a display thing.

it would be even better if the LEDs were multicolored and would have a different colour depending on note velocity.

is midibox the proper tool to achieve that, and could you please direct me to some threads/sites where i could get the basics (or even better, get me started)?

thanks all!

thanx for your answer

the idea is to design a LED matrix with each LED being independant. i would put them on a board that would be attached to the lid of my laptop and that would display stuff while i am playing gigs (drawings, random stuff, synched flashes...).

that's mostly a "lappy pimp" thing  :)

i feel like it shouldn't be too difficult to do.

you can see it as a 8x8 (actually 7x7 might be better) controller with buttons that light up, but without the buttons, just the lights. and without midi out.

just an add-on to what Twin-X said:

go and download the C-Skeleton, open "main.c" and take a look at it.

Then you could download some C-Examples and see what others programmed. It's really easy, if you know the C-Syntax. As MIOS is just supporting the functions listed in the MIOS-Function-List, it's a manageable set of options :)

To bring your DOUT-Module to react to something, you will have to set some SRIO-(ShiftRegisterI/O)-Settings in the Init() Function... Just look through the function list with special interest for MIOS_SRIO_ and MIOS_DOUT_; maybe also MIOS_MIDI_ if you want to send MIDI-Messages!

Best regards,

Michael

ps: http://www.midibox.org/dokuwiki/doku.php?id=application_development is also a useful resource...

thanks again for your answers.

being a total noob, i still got to figure out what components i need. so i think the code will come even later. but anyway, i won't forget you when time will come!

do you guys have a rough idea of the budget for such a thing?

am i right assuming it will be <50$?

You can build a unit in 1 hour if you are a bit handy.

1x http://futurlec.com/LED_Matrix_88.shtml

1x dout board

1x core

Check mike's site (europe) or Smashtv (usa) for pricing