New 4 x SID on the way!

dcer10

Woohoo!! I think I was right as its working now!! 250ma fuses blow and 500ma dont (got one more dout board to wire up, 2 more sids and 2 more cores so I hope the 500ma will hold!!).

An important lesson for me here is not to use the black C64 Power bricks as they dont have a fuse and blow. The beige ones have a fuse and dont die as easy. I might take some photos of the various ones as I have at least 4 kinds and only 1 kind has been good to me :)

Thanks,

John

Well this stage is finished, I just need to wait now for my new sid boards and core boards, but the 2 SIDs in there and the CS are all working (except one little annoying thing with OSC2 LED).

Heres some final photos of the case.

All the best,

John

684_DSC02178_jpga5fa30c5eaac06430fc899b0

686_DSC02183_jpg3b520b981b3509199f9d3a83

688_DSC02186_jpgeaef68498d71f42adef5fabf

690_DSC02188_jpg7a01b958059db3549e955fa6

Ok, one small detail that is still haunting me that im hoping someone can help me fix. The OSC 2 led isnt working for whatever reason, it didnt work using the default pin for the Dout and I tested with another LED on that pin and it didnt work, so I thought it was the cable so I just got a cable from another unused pin. I chose SR 6 pin 4. I thought from my counting that OS2 was on SR 2 pin 6 to begin with (0x0e) this is also what is shown in the PDF. In cs_menu_io_tables it says that osc 2 LED is:

DOUT_ENTRY CS_MENU_SELECTED_OSC_FLAGS, 1, 2, 1 ; OSC2 LED

I take that as SR 2 pin 1?

Anyway, the one which I want to change it to is SR 6 pin 4 (0x2c) so I changed this line to

DOUT_ENTRY CS_MENU_SELECTED_OSC_FLAGS, 1, 6, 4 ; OSC2 LED

But it wont work. Considering that 2,1 is not what I expected to see here in the first place I guess that im reading this wrong.

Can someone point the solution out please?

Thanks,

John

Thanks m8!

No, its not an AX73, but close! Its an X7000, not quite as interesting :) After a second look at my own pics I have to say Stryd_one, you have very good eyes!! I could hardly make out where the Akai was!! Hehehe

Ill try the change tonight, I hope it works! Amazing how many little tid bits like this you need to know to customise MB's!! Im glad you seem to know most of them  ;D

All the best,

John

It's just that I've been watching a deathmatch for the last 6 months, between ax73 auctions, and the tubes of sids I already spent my 'analog synth fund' on ;) Down, gearlust, down! sidv2 is coming, everything's gonna be allll right..... ::)

I hope it works too! Good luck :) I'm back on msn if you have no joy...

Dont worry Stryd_one, your V2 Sid will not leave you wanting!! It will all be worth it in the end.

Just set up all the audio side of my studio again, its all been a bit of a mess while ive been out soldering all the time! Heres a VERY basic test using only 1 SID, a TR-909 and the MB Sequencer that I sampled. It goes to show that the SID can be a very good 303 emulator if wanted, and that the MB seq is its perfect partner for acid basslines :) The resonant filter is actually a lot better than people give it credit for.

Warning.. Acid basslines following....

Also a short clip on youtube.. No sounds tho.

TBSID1.mp3

Hi All,

I thought I'd upload a small basic example showing the use of 2 SIDs as a stereo filterbank module. There isnt any external effect on the sound it is simply a TX81Z on an otherwise pretty dull sound being triggered from the MB sequecer using 2 tracks for the SIDS to alternate vol 0-127 on each step to flicker from L-R and the filter on the SID using BP + HP with a synced LFO and unsynced LFO to modulate the filter frequency [and a drumstation for good measure].

Its a pretty basic example im just trying to encourage people not block off the audio inputs unless they know what they are missing out on  ;D

a 4xSID is also a very good 4 channel midi filter bank with LFOs!! Its noisy, but since when do people who use 4 channel filter banks care about noise  ;)

Im making up a bank of "filter only" patches and im willing to share if people are interested when its done. I guess there not hard for people to do themselves, but something to get people going quickly might be a good thing??

All the best,

John

stereo filter example.mp3

I finally got all four sids in there and working ok!

Here is a little sound grab from the first jam with all 4 sids, I know a lot more could be done with them, but just a test... Its using SIDs 1+2 and 3+4 as 2 stereo groups of seperately modulated stereo synths ie 4 modulation tracks 2 note tracks..

stryd_one, the led problem landed up being the LED itself :) doh!!

UPDATE.. The upload didnt work to the forum last time so heres a link.

http://www.dcerecords.dnsalias.com/Saw_Waves_ensemble.mp3

All the best,

John

737_DSC02283_jpg27795ffbcc718f0067a872c3

739_DSC02291_jpg5bf4b88c8c428de54c8da03c

741_DSC02294_jpg8dea627ddb74a20ddfc0165e

743_DSC02298_jpg51958013163ab4156183ca1b