Trackball integration

Sasha

This is Logitech Marble Mouse Optical Trackball planed for the MIDI controller, me and my friend building for Ableton Live.

313861193_78813cb27a.jpg?v=0

It is perfect for mounting compared to the regular trackball because it has separated PCB and plastick ball supporting element containing optics.

313861195_f0dffdd3e8.jpg?v=0

This is how it all will be mounted to the frontpanel. The Ball support should be angled a bit so ball could stick out from the pannel enough. Everything is going to be made of laser cut acrylic.

313861196_cb69de2c36.jpg?v=0

The Trackball is USB, and box will probably contain USB soundcard, so both card and trackball will be connected to the USB HUB. The controler should have only power and USB plugs on the rear panel. I supose the USB have enough power to suply the MB, but controller will probably have pannel illuminated with superbright LEDs so this option is out.

Hi,

I supose the USB have enough power to suply the MB

... be careful with this option! I once killed a mainboard with a controller that was USB powered.

A single short sometimes is enough ...

But as you mentioned, with panel ilumination this option isn't a option anymore.

The Ball support should be angled a bit so ball could stick out from the pannel enough

How does the ball "stick" in the panel ?

I mean, can you take the ball out of the panel or even loose it?

How did you fix the ball in its hole?

greets

Doc

How does the ball "stick" in the panel ?

The hole will probably be smaller than ball, so ball couldn`t pop out from the controller. As trackball is optical there is no need to take it out often for cleaning, and when it`s needed there will be 8 screws to unscrew (4 from case and 4 from trackball)

This is funny... I hate those flat built in trackballs on large digital consoles (have you ever configured some 40-60 channels on a routing matrix being under time pressure?), so I bought one like you just ripped  :'( apart and I am totaly happy with it  :D

What is funny about that? Well... taste seems to be very flexible :P

Greets, Roger

• 1 year later...