Building a PSU

napierzaza

I've seen a few people on these forums who have built their own PSU. They said that they just harvested a bunch of PSUs so I'm very interested in that myself. However, I sort of need a schematic. I get the path of the electricity:

AC120 -> Transformer -> Rectifier -> Capactior field(s) -> Voltage regulator -> etc

But I don't know how many capactiors (or the total uF to store) or how to split the lines into different voltage organizations. Does anyone have a tutorial or a layout?

The main question is: for what?

The main answer will be: please search the forums. Here are dozens of PSU schematics, esp. for SID and FM PSU's that require negative and/or higher voltages than 12V.

For everything else (between +5 and +12V): get an universal PSU, with about 800 mA. They are so cheap that it will be more expensive to solder your own.

And if you build yourself a PSU: be careful! 120V/220V may be deadly.

This is definitely not a recommended project for electronic newbies!

Michael

Can't believe I'm saying this, but Radio Shack actually has a decent small book called "Building Power Supplies", which goes from really simple ones up to some nicer switching designs with filtration,etc. (been a while since I've seen mine). If you have RS in your area, or can eBay one, you might want to check it out. It was only a few bucks.

Take Care,

George

<edit> Mine was right beside me. ;D

It's this thing:

http://tinyurl.com/ydqybg

and another auction (more money):

http://tinyurl.com/y9w6um

It's got Archer, Radio Shack, David Lines and Master Publishing on the front, and is catalog# 276-5025

I see it's also on Amazon for under a dollar. :o

I will search google for "Building Power Supplies."

Ok, don't want to hold back anyone from searching -

...but I wonder why you don't want to search here:

-> "PSU": 14 pages(!) of topics about PSUs

-> "PSU Schematic": 4 pages

A quick test and I found about three different schematics for various purposes.

A look at your post-history revealed that you're interested in a SID and/or FM. As I've written before, it makes a big difference if you just need +9V (best is about +7.5V for the Core) or -/+12V as required for the FM for example. There are really lots of postings about SID PSU's -

...and on the OPL3 page (module for MB FM) is a PDF schematic and even a PCB layout for an FM optimized PSU.

I know that the informations are a bit widespread on these three pages ucApps/forum/wiki, but it definitely does not hurt reading the MBHP module pages on ucApps for the modules you want to build.

I thought you already got my hint on your LCD-question :-\

Regards,

Michael

Fair enough, I'm still having problems searching the site to be honest. It's rather mixed up in my opinion. there's actually a few times now where I try to find something I already read about here and can't  :P

But for sure the LCD question was a little of a quick-draw, sorry about that one, I found that page about 15 minutes after I asked.

Thanks very much, you're all very helpful.

there's actually a few times now where I try to find something I already read about here and can't

ahh, that may be if you're searching the forum while you're in a sub-thread. Best is to click on "Home" here before searching or using the advanced Search... I forgot to mention this, but I remember I had these troubles in the beginning, too :)

no bad feelings from my side, you're welcome ;)

Cheers,

Michael