lcd working, next step?

ultra

i have my lcds working, i think.  the first lcd gives me the mios version and creator, and then says "ready".  the second gives me black blocks on the top row (these are 2x40 lcds).  is this correct?  if not, it could be because i'm actually hooking up one at a time because i have to desolder the header pins off of the second lcd yet (they're the bg micro ones) and put on longer ones and i haven't gotten to that yet.

how do i go about testing buttons?  should i hook them all up and just see if it works, or wire in a single momentary switch to one of the pins?  is there a certain pin that can be used as a test with any momentary switch?

what are some of the easier case designs people can suggest?  to me, using veroboard and mounting everything just under where the panel will be sounds like a nightmare, and i think i'm going to panel mount everything, although i don't know how that would work out for the lcds.  i'd like to get some kind of standard case that i can have a panel made for.  really i'm not looking for anything too pretty and i just want a working sequencer in a sturdy case.  can anybody help with suggestions?  i'm not that experienced with manufacturing this sort of thing and i don't have a variety of tools for it either.

thanks!

Hi!

Good news, the LCD works. The second LCD is showing black boxes cause it´s not enabled yet (it´s Enable line is another pin and is first used when the Seq app is up on the PIC). Next step is bringing the app on the PIC to see if both LCD´s work (it does not matter if you dont have any DIN´s DOUT´s and/or buttons / LEDs connected).

I would just solder all the buttons to all the DIN´s, connect them to the core and try it. Out of experience the chances are pretty good to make no mistake there. And if there is a mistake it´s normally easy found (this button does not work so that connection should not be ok).

The first boxes I made where frontplate mount things (buttons and all the rest mounted to the frontplate and connected to the appropiate pin) - believe me, this is 1st not the most stable design 2nd centerpoint of cable hell and 3rd much work also. The veroboard design is pretty stable and you can change stuff a little bit easier so think about that. It´s just more work before building but mostly it´s worth it (muuuch cleaner inside and the buttons all have a sturdy underground not hanging in the air). You also will have less holes for screwing stuff to the frontplate as everything is fixed to the veroboard.

If you have the money let the frontplate be manufactured somewhere. It´s worth it (time & work & frustration). BUT BE SURE THAT EVERYTHING **WILL** FIT!!! Case stuff is pretty easy so either get a good premade one (doesn´t matter to much what type) or build it yourself. Important: Either wood or metal (alu or steel - alu is mostly easier to handle). Don´t use plastic, you won´t be happy with that (I made that mistake *TWICE* and will not do it again). The frontplate should be made of aluminium in any case (*sometimes* plastic is also fine but I just don´t recommend it as it´s not sturdy enough in my point of view). You should also think about whether you want some 19" compatible case or not (there are also 19" rack *and* desktop compatible designs in the galleries - so the first does not kill the second option).

Hope that helps a little bit for more stuff about cases look at already built midiboxes (gallery) to get some impressions and use the search function of the forum then you should be very fine indeed. :)

Greetz & good luck!

this is great info, thanks.  is there a specific model of case that people have been successful in using for the sequencer?  i've searched around on the forum for this using many different terms but i've found nothing.  i'm looking for a sloped desktop design and rack mount is for sure something i won't do.  i have no problem with designing my own front panel and i'd probably base it off the one available at ucapps.

i suppose using veroboard i can more easily attach a ribbon cable to the modules and then solder those ends to where i want them on the board.  i'll give it a shot setting it up this way.  it seems most people do not panel mount and i guess there must be a reason for it.  i'll search the forums more thoroghly on this as i'm sure there's plenty of information posted.

Hmm, there´s no real "standard" case for the seq. Most people use some 3HE 19" rack stuff, so you can get something in that way, too (also see TK´s design for that). The only drawback is the 19" rack boxes are really not very cheap (starting @ 50 Euros going up pretty fast) and so many people design them on theirselves.

If you do the frontplate yourself, the box should be the tiniest problem if doing 19" rack design. The frontplate just holds everything and the box (e.g. made out of wood or alu) goes over it and is screwed to it, that´s it (okokok, I didn´t mention the connections on the back for power / midi and so on - but it´s the same as with the frontplate.

Easiest way of building a complete 19" rack (*in my opinion!!*):

Alu Frontplate with holes for 19" mount and box mount + wooden box open on both ends (looking like O if looking on it from above) + backplate with holes for box mount -> screwing frontplate & backplate to box = case ;)