Joghweel / Jogdial Tip

phunk

Hi dudes,

time to contribute a little. Well...i dunno if its such a great tip but while searching the forums i came across heaps of posts where people were looking for jogwheels fitting their needs.

There are jogwheels on the market from alps and farnell...but they´re made of hard plastic  (old denon cdplayers style) and not very handy when it comes to djing. most of our species prefer  those rubber soft touch dials but where to get them.

well i got this pioneer efx 500 effect unit at home which has exactly the jog wheel i ever wanted...not to big (like the Jogs on the tabletop cd players), not to small like the plastic denons and with a rubber soft touch feeling. i decided to disassemble it and look whether it could fit my needs or not.

Other options would be the jogs of the Xone 3D as well as the gemini and reloop rack cdplayers.

IMG_2980.jpg

Thats the effect unit...jog on the right

IMG_2974.jpg

without the jog plate....the white ring stabilizes the jog while use..the outer black ring is used for optical reasons and glued to the case.

IMG_2966.jpg

diameter of the plate is 85mm

IMG_2969.jpg

backside of the plate. for a 6mm D shape poti shaft....

IMG_2968.jpg

white ringe...to stabilize the jog..

IMG_2976.jpg

...measuring....

IMG_2971.jpg

inner case: i was really suprised as i saw that the jog is mounted on a very small and cheap encoder with a plastic shaft particularly because the jog is very very stable and you can really abuse it...

After that disassembly i decided to use that jogwheel for my project but without leaving my EFX500 unusable.

The good news is that you can order every pioneer part as a single spare part. The bad news is...they´re expensive and the white ring is hardly available.

Where to get them: In Germany @ EtuS Landgraf, in other countries at the pioneer spare parts dealer who is listed on the pioneer website..

The numbers are as follows (prices excl. tax):

Plate: DNK 3597,  14,31€

White Ring: DNK 3598,  2,85€

Outer Ring: DNK 3595,  11,04€

IMG_2981.jpg

Well...thats a lot for one jog, but you dont need the outer ring for sure. you cant even use it...(needs a plastic case with a lil cavity)

It would be good to have the white ring. If you cant get it it works out perfect without as well or you can build one yourself.

remains the plate. i prefered to buy it instead of spending hours building one myself. but thats up to you. :-)

as i mentioned before. you could try asking other companies. i wrote to reloop, gemini, allen&heath as well but never got an answer...the pioneer service responded after a day.

so....may you can use this tip..

have fun

alex

• 1 year later...