Digikey Quotes

napierzaza

Does anyone know how to manage Digi-Key quotes? Essentially I sent them one of the part order lists and they returned a quote with about 50% of the order as "not stocked." I'd include the pdf but it includes my personal information. Anyhow it was a standard MB parts order list (I can't remember which one, might be the core, might be the SID module) so I'm not sure how they couldn't stock them. Does anyone have lists with cross-referenced part numbers? I'd really like to order from Digi-Key because I'm not in Europe, I'm in montreal Canada.

I'm surprised that the LM317 in TO-92 isn't stocked.  Maybe they carry it in a TO-220 format?  Likewise with the 1N4002, I can't see that becoming obsolete.

In general, if something is listed as "Non-Stock", I don't bother adding it to my order at all on their website.  Usually you need to order something like 50-1000 of anything for them to bring it in if it's a non-stock item.

Hi,

the names on your list are order numbers from Reichelt, so it´s no surprise Digikey won´t find everything. e.g. with B80C800RUND, rund means "round" in German. The part no is B80C800.

You´ve got to know what to search and not just put order numbers from a different shop into the search. e.g. LM317 gives 134 results. Then check "in stock" -> 73 results. Then select "TO-92-3" (the 3 just means 3 legs) -> 10 results. From these 10 results, a few are out of question because of the min. quantity of 2000 pieces ;) from the rest, just select one, e.g. 497-1573-5-ND.

The B80C800 is a bit more complicated. Apparently this type of naming is not used at Digikey. It means a rectifier with max 80 V and max 800 mA. Most important is the current rating, you´ll have to find one that is not rated less. Voltage is generally no problem. I searched for "rectifier", then "bridge rectifiers", "in stock", "through hole", structure "Bridge single phase". Then I found out that the package name of the round ones seems to be "WOG". A suitable part would be e.g. W02GDI-ND.

1N4002 would be e.g. 1N4002DICT-ND

78L05 would be e.g. LM78L05ACZFS-ND

RAD is an electrolytic capacitor. GS are DIP sockets. Z5U are normal capacitors. I´ll leave the rest of searching to someone else (you?).

Seppoman

Okay, well, I certainly didn't know they were specific order names for the other site. I assumed the tracking would be done with the actual part name (because it's standardized and simple, right?). Anyhow I never thought that I couldn't do the searching, just that it'd be really time consuming and that I might possibly be able to do it more simply (that is the original purpose of the parts list isn't it?). Anyhow it appears that I can't use those parts list so easily (not a slight, I'm sure it works for others).

Anyhow I didn't know about SmashTVs parts lists, I'll order from mouser than I guess. About the same as Digikey?

I don´t know prices from Mouser, but Digikey is not really the cheapest shop as long as you´re ordering small quantities, so I´d say the prices won´t be too different.

About having to search and order lists: The existing order lists are only copy&paste for Reichelt (TK´s) and Mouser (Smash´s). For any other shops, it´s always searching and choosing the right parts. Especially with BIG shops like Digikey, the problem is that they´ve often got quite a number of more or less comparable parts - e.g. there´s ICs with same type from different manufacturers that might have slight (dis)advantages for special purposes. So they offer all these variants for people/industries that care about, but for the DIYer it´s often easier to buy at shops like Reichelt that don´t overwhelm people with too many options.

with BIG shops like Digikey, the problem is that they´ve often got quite a number of more or less comparable parts

Man, I hear you. I finally got around to putting together a massive order I'd been holding off on a couple weeks ago for that very reason. The simplest parts were some of the hardest ones to pick because of the huge selection. I ended up having to call and get a tech to point me to exact recommendations for a bunch of it, and later regretted it as he seemed to direct me to some of the more expensive variants. I got over a hundred dollars worth of small junk. Some of the basic plastic headers and IDC stuff came in at several dollars, where it probably should have been in the twenty-five cent range if I knew what to get.

Also, IIRC their search box takes some getting used to. Seemed like it didn't work with wildcards and stuff, so for instance, on the 74xx parts you sometimes have to chop off prefixes and stuff to get it to look for them correctly.

George

PS- Reichelt must be like MCM. I miss making those orders. They had like *one* version of everything. You just had to pick your value or number of pins. :)

Okay specific question:

I got all the Mouser orders from Smash, but there's no PIC burner order list; So I'm building one. SO far so good as some parts are common with other modules, but there is one part I can't find on Mouser!

| Transistor BC337                            |    1 | BC 337-25          |  0.04 |  0.04 |

Napierzaza,

From the Core parts list page:

Note 5: outside europe the BC337 is hard to find, the 2N3904 is a good replacement

But note that the outer pins (E and C) are exchanged - you have to upturn the

transistor to get the E, B, C pin matching with the PCB

I guess that should be valid for the burner as well.

Guessing here, but I think the ICs will be the MM74HC14N (Mouser# 512-MM74HC14N), but there will probably be a few that will work. Just make sure you get regular dual in line (DIP/PDIP) style chips, not any of the weird surface mount crap. Package style will show over in the right side column on the mouser results.

Take Care,

George

PS-- I never did get my burner working here, but I'm in no rush.

I had minor trouble with the Microchip site when I was ordering the samples, the names are so very similar that I was really close to making a gaff at each moment. Looks like I did it right (but I haven't gotten those in teh mail yet). Durn it, I want to order from some supplier soon, I don't want to get my PICs and not be able to do anything with them!