Pinouts for Denon rotary encoder, shuttle ring and pitch fader

Jakes Daddy

I'm in the process of making an MB64 based on a Denon DN1800F control unit.

I have ordered the various kits and whilst waiting for these to be delivered, I have taken inspiration from Wild_Weasel and have removed the original boards from the DN1800F, desoldered the components I will re-use, cut some new boards to the same size, and drilled through to remount the components.

Its all going nicely. However, I have some questions re: the pinouts of the shuttle ring and encoder, and the pitch fader, and how these related to the DIN and AIN modules.

The pitch faders (217K linear pot) will go onto the AIN I have ordered.

Each fader has what appears to be 2 ground pins which also seem to act as mounting 'brackets'. They are part of the outer case of the pot and are larger than a standard component pin leg and were originally soldered to the board to help keep it in place. Do these need to be connected to the circuit in any way, or are they simply there to mount the component ?

The faders also have 8 pins - 4 at the top and 4 at the bottom. These may be duplicates of each other (ie. the top 4 are the same as the bottom 4 and I can use either set ???) Where should these 4 (or 8 ??) pins connect to on the AIN ??

Also, will a 217K pot work ? or does it need to be 100K ??

The shuttle ring and encoder are both on the same unit. This has 4 ground / mounting pins as with the faders - so can I simply use these as mounting and not connect to the circuit ?. There are then 6 pins (I think from memory, but could be 5 or 7 - I will check later). I read somewhere (from Wild_Weasel I think) that the encoder has 2 pins for clock/anti clockwise - surely thats 2 pins plus ground ?? and the shuttle wheel has 4 pins ??

In relation to the DIN how would these connect ??

Sorry if these are stupid newbie type questions ! Thanks in advance for any answers !

Cheers

JD

Also, will a 217K pot work ?

... you have to try

or does it need to be 100K ??

... it should be 10k

I read somewhere (from Wild_Weasel I think) that the encoder has 2 pins for clock/anti clockwise - surely thats 2 pins plus ground ?? and the shuttle wheel has 4 pins ??

... 2 pins out -> clockwiese/anticlockwise and 1 pin input from DIN board = 3 Pins

If you have a wheel and a shuttle-ring, there should be 2 encoders = 2x3pins

you can check pin allocation with an oscilloscope

Greets, Roger

Would you mind posting a pic of your shuttle/ encoder and try to find a datasheet.

In my case 3 pins where for the encoder and 5 for the shuttle ring.

The fader will work. You need to find 3 pins.

|--------|---------|

A          B            C

A to C should messure 217K all the time.

B to A should messure 0 ohm when on one side, and 217 K when on the other side.

B to C works vice versa.

So you will need a ohmmeter to work that out.

B needs to be connected to the AIN module (or directly to the core if you plan to use less than 8 pots/ fader)

A to +5V, C to GND (or vice versa, that doesn't matter)

The fader in this case works as a voltage divider. So it "feeds" 0 to 5 Volt into the AIN port of the pic. So it doesn't matter if it's a 10k or 200k pot as long as it connected right.

Cheers

Michael

Hi Michael,

My shuttle/encoder is exactly the same as the one you used in your Denon projects (based on your superb photos / write up of your projects) - its sort of triangular with 4 mounting pins on the case body. Along the bottom edge are 8 pins (not 6 as in my previous post  ::)) The left most 5 are slightly higher/longer than the other 3 - exactly the same as your one.

I found on your site the data sheet for your shuttle/encoder - and it seems to relate to mine as well.

So far I've only played with the right most 3 pins which seem to relate to the inner encoder. This encoder is definately connected to these pins, but not entirely sure how to test and work out what pins do what. I've used a multi-meter to test resistance between pins (to see if they are connected or not), but not really sure what I should be reading across each of the pins as I rotate the encoder clock/anti clock wise.

Michael - given that it looks like our shuttle/encoder units are the same, what were your connections between the 8 pins and the DIN ??

Cheers

JD

Michael,

Like I said earlier, I'm sure my encoder is the same as yours. The data sheet that you found for yours seems to work for mine as well (sort of !)

always_on.gif

Using my multi-meter, there is a function that beeps when a connection is made (dont know what its called but its very handy  :)) - if I connect 1 probe to C1, pins 1, 2, 3 and 4 'beep' (get connected) when I rotate the outer shuttle. Pin 1 is clearly the rotation direction - either clock or anti clock, and ANDing pins 2,3 and 4 tell you the angle - perfect

But when I connect 1 probe to C2, J1 and J2 get connected when I rotate the inner encoder in either direction ? IE. putting the probe on C2 and J1, I get a beep when I rotate clock and anti clockwise. The same is true for C2 and J2. So, how does the encoder know / send the rotation direction ?

I've worked out the pins for the pitch control pot - thanks for your help. Its a bit odd actually - the casing clearly has 217K marked on it, but according to my multi meter its 47K !! No matter though, I've found the 3 pins I need - perfect !

Cheers

JD

ok perfect.

pin c.2 and c.1 go to GND on the Din module. This is the single pin without a resistor beneath.

The encoder outs go to two IN pins right beside each other. For example pin 1 and 2 of shift register 1 (mios will count from zero on. So it's pin 0 and 1).

The shuttle pins go to pin 3,4,5,6. Take care to mess up the order because this will make it very hard to define actions in the C code later.

Be sure to check out the MB64 application. It is very handy to check if every module works and everything is connected the right way. So I would like you to download it take a look into the files and see how to define the number of DIN and AIN modules. You will need that for your own C code aswell.