audio i/o for SID 18F Control

d2k

Hey...

I'm workin on the refurbishment of an old C64 case to house the upcoming SID control surface. I've been able to reuse the precut holes on the back to house the bits I need - midi/fuse/dc socket, but I'm wondering what to do for audio i/o - will stereo out (L+R outputs) be okay (i'll have 4 SIDs under the bonnet;p) what about for audio input - does that always remain a single mono in? or would a stereo input be possible now too?

Best

Dan

Hi Dan,

in far future I will provide a special mod for MIDIbox SID with a small amplifier and a panorama circuit (Mono In->Stereo Out), controllable via MIDI and Modulation Matrix. But in the meantime the only solution is to use 4 seperate audio outs or one stereo out (audio outs can be joined by using 10k resistors). I would prefer the first solution, as it allows you to mix the channels, to set the panorama, and not at least to attach EQs and effects seperately.

Yes, you could realise a stereo input, too, but this really depends on your final circuit. Example: if you join SID1+2 for left channel and SID3+4 for right channel, the input of SID1 should be the L input, SID2: open, SID3: R input, SID4: open

Or create two chains:

Audio In L->SID1->SID2->Audio Out L

Audio In R->SID3->SID4->Audio Out R

But as I already wrote: I would prefer seperate outputs

Best Regards, Thorsten.

Hey T...

okay, so the ideal setup for the control surface is 4 sep outs (mono jack sockets). Would you also have 4 sep inputs then aswell ??? The possible options have confused me a lil  :P...

I thought just stereo in and stereo out on sep L and R channels would be the standard. If it's goin to have incompatibilty issues with the control sirface firmware i'll do it to ur recommendations...:)

Cheers

Dan

Hi Dan,

incompatibility isn't an issue - the SID input is just an option which allows you to mix the oscillator outputs with an additionial audio source before it goes into the filter unit. It can result to nice effects :)

Best Regards, Thorsten.

• 2 weeks later...

Hey T...

Here's a pic of the back of the re-furbished C64 case so far...

sid-control_back.jpg

I've gone for stereo in/out on 1/4" jacks, but I was also wondering if i could also use 4 mini-jack mono sockets for the individual SID mono outs - these fit in nicely in the space as shown ;). You say either 4 outs OR one stereo out, but I'm guessing the config shown is doable ye? I'd just just cable twice on the outputs...

Peace...

Dan