book-style Seq?

ris8_allo_zen0

It's not been done before and should be possible.... But have you considered the mechanics involved? knobs and buttons protude from the face panel, so the hinge would have to also. Probably easier to rackmount it....

Yes, I can add some rubber blocks over the panel corners and a bigger wooden one on the side where the pivot is located. Buttons and knobs could be designed asymmetrically, without appearing "untidy" so they don't collide each other when closing the book.

Indeed I never had to do with rackmounts (to tell the truth, even with step sequencers :P but a SEQ can be a good starting point, right?), but I probably will... so making a 9.5" tall book with rails can also be an idea!

I dont get it  :-\

is your idea to do a sequencer as small as possible ?

Yes, I was thinking about fitting the PHAT BOX (see my post in SID construction forum), a SEQ and the cables in a box 11.8" x 14.2" x 4.7" big, to use them easily at friend's homes or maybe in parties. Maybe it's a totally crazy idea but I keep dreaming until I'll pay any money...

I think it wouldn't be too hard to build one into a metal tool case like this:

http://www.maplin.co.uk/Module.aspx?ModuleNo=36796&criteria=tool%20box&doy=12m2

Or a briefcase, a bit like this:

http://gallery.diy.synth.net/main.php?g2_itemId=873

or

www.vintagesynth.com/misc/synthi.shtml

With a bit of work you can make the lids removable

Hinged units are not easy - I've built them in intrumentation work. You have to consider cable flex as well. Thre is also the ergonomics - how easy is it going to be to use, I do think a workstation style sequencer could be good, but a lot of thought on control layout would be needed.

My own view would be to get running with a simple layout, and then re-case it when you were used to it, and the way it worked for you.

As an example, on mine, I'm having the encoders on two staggered rows of four under each display, rather like MTE does here:

http://www.midibox.org/forum/index.php?topic=8268.msg59062#msg59062

Because my fingers are a bit big for a linear layout, but despite having a lot of other ideas for panel design, I feel it's better to get it running and use it for while, before doing a design freeze on the layout, So my first panel will be home cut alloy, and 'Brother' labelled

Best wishes

Mike

If you look around you can find flightcases that open like a suitcase, and have even depth on both sides. It'd be easy to use one of these to install a Midibox seq in one half and a midibox sid in the other.

You'd have to recess the face panels so the knobs don't hit eachother, but that wouldn't be too hard.

They're cheap secondhand too.