classical sequencer as mios application

Guest cjlargear

Guest cjlargear

Is there any way a standard sequencer be built within a midibox enviroment using mios capabilities?

I mean an RM1X style of sequencer or a step sequencer with the capability to chain patterns in a song and to store them in a bankstick.

As I'm new into to the MIDIBox idea and I know nothing about electronics this question might seem stupid but, is there any way that applications can be stored into a bankstick and when you power on the box automatically the application stored into the stick is loaded?

Sorry for the size of this post, I'll try to sort the next ones... :.D

You probably will want to go for the Midibox64SEQ. The application (sequencer firmware) is burnt into the PIC chip. The Bankstick is used for storing setups/configurations (sequences) for the sequencer.

If you want to make a fully customizable sequencer, you need to get into programming, you burn the 'bootstrap' (OS) into the PIC, and then write an application in MIOS(or download one that has already been written) and stick it into the PIC over midi.

I think you will want to go for the Midibox64SEQ, nice and easy!!

Well I hope all that is correct!! :o bye from steve

Guest cjlargear

???so how can anyone write a mios application???

TK please help... :-/ (or anyone else)

is it possible for everyone to learn assembler

language?

and what do i need to do?

Question....

so how can anyone write a mios application

TK please help...  (or anyone else)

is it possible for everyone to learn assembler  

language?

and what do i need to do?

Answer....

I think you should check out the features of the midibox 64 Seq, this is the result of over 2 years of TK's development, and it would take a lot of work to do better!

Hi,

check also this posting for the planned PIC18F port of MB64seq: http://www.midibox.org/cgi-bin/yabb/YaBB.cgi?board=news;action=display;num=1051052087

I don't think that it is possible to realize a RM1x like sequencer with one PIC, the implementation of such an project would be easier with an old homecomputer (e.g Atari ST), but an analogue style sequencer with the possibility to chain patterns is exactly the MB64seq concept :)

How to setup a new MIOS application: learn the PIC assembly language by reading the PIC18F452 datasheet from the Microchip homepage, learn the programming style by studying the existing MIOS examples and applications (there are a lot of comments in the source code which will help to understand the principles).

Best Regards, Thorsten.

Guest cjlargear

Hi TK, thanks for the answer on both the questions.

I suppose a sequencer that comlicated as the RM1X

has needs more than just a PIC to realise because

of the size of the application and the available sources

of a PIC (speed, memory etc).

As for the step sequencer I assume that your plans for

migration from PIC16 to an application for PIC18 based

cores is going to take a long time but have you considered

a sequencer with more than 4 tracks and the possibility to

trigger patterns from the buttons of an MB64, I think that

this is the so called RPS mode used by Roland's latest

grooveboxes. If I'm wrong then someone please corrects me.

I'm still a little confuse with the assembly stuff.

I downloaded microchips' own assembly language and I tried

to read the files include in the two MIOS applications and

I still don't get it. What file am I supposed to read to

understand the structure of an application?

Sorry for the size of this post, long live the king of

MIDIBOX, may the MBforce be with you. You are the greatest.

PS 1: I think that many people would like to program some

applications for the newly born MIOS. Have you considered

creating a team that could communicate online and it's purpose

be creating those applications: say a synth, a sequencer or others?

PS 2:Is it possible to realise a sampler within an MB platform or

is it easier to use an old SB Awe32 with soundfonts? What I'm

trying to say here is that the possibilities to create a whole

music studio are big with this project. Or I'm wrong in this?

THANKS 4 SHARING WITH ALL OF US THE

HUMBLE SERVANTS OF MIDIBOX king

Hi,

currently I'm porting the MB64seq step by step to MIOS. It's not very difficult and it doesn't consume that much effort, but currently I haven't so much time for MIOS, therefore the final sequencer release can take some weeks. The menu interface is already running - the look&feel is 100% compatible to the PIC16F version, but the implementation is totally different - a more modular way which allows to add submenues (also hierachically) very easily. The menu can now optionally controlled by a data wheel (==rotary encoder) and via MIDI for a remote link. And it will be reused for the MIOS based MIDIbox64 and MIDIbox16E.

The button handler now also supports control via MIDI, so that all functions are also controllable from another MIDIbox or from a computer based sequencer.

The next step will be the sequencer engine, it will also redesigned on a modular way, so that multiple instances can run in parallel. Only the memory and the user interface will limit the number of tracks.

Triggering patterns via buttons or program change messages is already possible with the PIC16F application, sure it will also work with the reimplementation.

Programming MIOS applications: the example applications in the download section describe how to handle with the MIOS hooks. You will get a better understanding once you modified and tried it with a real existing box.

Programming teams: maybe we should try this once all PIC16F applications have been ported, because they should provide a good fundament for improvements and customizations.

Sampler or soundfonts: requires a lot of memory and a large data store device. I would prefer an old PC or homecomputer for this job, a PIC based  (multichip) solution would be more expensive

Best Regards, Thorsten.

• 8 months later...
Sampler or soundfonts: requires a lot of memory and a large data store device. I would prefer an old PC or homecomputer for this job, a PIC based  (multichip) solution would be more expensive

As a possable dedicated stand-alone solution to this; maybe customising a mios sequencer core to edit, control & sequence the perameters on a old (cheap) akai sampler might do the trick ?

Or possably a more senseable solution would be to have two cores, one dedicated to the task of sequencing & another dedicated to the task of providing a editing surface for the sampler.

This could be acheived just by using the two exhisting cores as they already exhist to some extent. ...however it would be extremely handy to capture the states of the sequencer, editor & sampler all in one 'memoryshot' ..in order to allow 'complete' recall of the 3 machines states at once.

I figure the reason people would like a 'all in one' hardware solution is because of the stability & reliability it 'can' provide. ...this might do the job.

• 2 months later...

^ -- this is my current design direction  with performing in live in mind.

MIOS SeQ (PIC18)-> control patterns and triggers  to sampler

MB64-> control surface for sampler.

Other IDeas (i.e. little things that keep me up at night :) )

MIOS driven Midi Effector.   Basically a knob box with selectable midi IN and OUt ports.  

Midi chain

MIos Sequencer-_out_->Midi Effector-_out _->Device ( synth, noisebox,sampler etc. )

the Effector would generate  Sysex, NPRN, Patch/bank change messages, RPN, CC.  you would select the channel to 'Effect" ( the channel coming from the SEQ ) and then either call up PRE generated stored messges, or do manual edits with  knobs, touch surface, joystick ..whatever.  The messages get merged with the data from the SEQ and then to the device making the noise.  

Why do this ?

well, U can store a bunch of messages in bankstiks.  and call them up on the Effector menu and apply it to any midi channel coming thru..  

1)   A  gate effect  sequenced out.   channel 1 is hi hats..

Call up the gate program, select channel 1. enter.

BAM instant gated Hi hats.

2)    A filter sweep or swell,  sequenced out a number of      

measures for a transition in your set with a note off and Program change to end it.

Call up your "Awesome Transition 1"  program..

Select channel to sweep.  enter..

Your sweep starts... you count it out ( time it)  then switch patterns for your new sounds called up by the automated prg change in PROG.

Now.. not sure if this is possible atm.  But exploring the possibilities.

Bam!  instant Filter sweep