What connector for this?

jwillans

• 4 weeks later...

Thanks for the info.  I have looked everywhere in the UK to try and source a plug for these IC sockets (rapid,farnell,rs), but cannot find it.  I'd appreciate it very much if someone could give me a link to this component, ideally on a UK web site, but anywhere would be useful (Futurelec?).

Thanks,

James

The thing you are looking for is called a Dual In Line (DIL) Header. Thye are available as solder tagged parts, often used for mounting small parts on an IC socket - I use them for Vactrols, and for the 8 current limiting resistors ina display driver, (I can easily plug ina different set if I need to change the brightness). They are also available as Insulation Displacement (IDC) connectors, where you crimp them on to a piece of ribbon cable. To do this you either need to buy a special tool, or to make a spacer that will fit closely between the pins, and then squeeze the the cabel anheader togethr in a vice.

If you only need one simple cable, and aren't too sure about doing this, then, since you seem to be in the UK, memo me and I can make one up for you.

http://www.rapidonline.com/productinfo.aspx?tier1=Cables+%26+Connectors&tier2=Connectors+-+Multipole&tier3=DIL+Sockets&tier4=DIL+slotted+headers&moduleno=60996

http://www.rapidonline.com/productinfo.aspx?tier1=Cables+%26+Connectors&tier2=Connectors+-+Multipole&tier3=IDC+Connectors&tier4=IDC+DIL+Connectors&moduleno=63705

http://rswww.com/cgi-bin/bv/rswww/searchBrowseAction.do?D=IDC%20DIL%20header&Nr=AND%28avl%3auk%2csearchDiscon_uk%3aN%29&Ntk=I18NAll&Nty=1&Ntt=IDC%20DIL%20header&Dx=mode%20matchpartial&Ntx=mode%20matchpartial&N=0&name=SiteStandard&forwardingPage=line&R=0471373&callingPage=/jsp/search/search.jsp&BV_SessionID=@@@@0174229551.1178794736@@@@&BV_EngineID=ccdeaddklggfklgcefeceeldgondhgf.0&cacheID=uknetscape

Hope this helps

Mike

Hi Mike,

Many thanks for that info - and thanks for the offer - it is really appreciated.  I'm not sure why I couldn't find these when I searched the rapid.  Do the rapid header you've linked to fit into the turned pin holes shown in my picture?  If so I'll get some of these ordered (I only need 2) and solder a ribbon cable to them (they look difficult to crimp).

Thanks again,

James

The second Rapid reference is the crimp on one: their part number 80-0205.

If you can't make a £30 order, rapid will charge you postage,,whcih could make for and expensive cable!. I order about once a week at the moment so could easily sort it out. What do you want on the other end?

I've used both with Turned pin sockets, some tend to be a little loose, and the turned pin headers, (they make them too), can be rather tight.

Mike

Hi Mike,

These connectors are on a recycled lighted stop tab unit which I am going to build into an organ console I am constructing.  Lighted stop tabs are essentially like illuminated buttons, but a bit more organist friendly, they will send midi signals when pressed (via a DIN) and are illuminated as a result of midi messages (via a DOUT).  I will be connecting these using ribbon cable to IDC plugs which will connect into the DIN/DOUT header.  So crimping them would make sense - although the spacing looks difficult and since there is only two to do, I may just solder them.

Many thanks for the offer - I may take you up on this.  I need to order rather a lot of ribbon cable from rapid so that should push my order over the £30.

Thanks again Mike.

James