MBSID Build Log

dext3r

thought i'd just make a build log thread because i think they are fun. if not cool then just let me know and i will delete it or something :)

Current Setup:

1x Core Module

1x SID Module (6581)

1x Crystalfontz 20x2 LCD

I bought a C64-C hoping it had an 8580, but it had a 6581 R4.

Current Partslist:

http://spreadsheets.google.com/pub?key=pffq4SAkAbNYbmf6I5dkbTQ

462652389_9822dac31c.jpg?v=0

thought i'd just make a build log thread because i think they are fun. if not cool then just let me know and i will delete it or something :)

I don't know what the official policy is ;) but I reckon build logs are cool! There's nothing quite as good to learn from, as seeing it done.

I love that you've kept a partslist online. Will Google keep it hosted? or will you need to host it here?

stryd: google will host it.

pics of the dial/encoder:

04-22-07_1557.jpg

Wilba, i bought it like that :( Kinda lame, but wasn't really planning on using the breadbox as a case anyways. BTW, i'm CADing out my front panel, and i was wondering if you knew anything off the top of your head that I should add because of V2. CC/Link button changed or something, right?

So you're going to build the full 'step C' controls, right?

Does that just require one DIN 'board, or are more required?

And sorry to hijack the thread, but I'm (going to) build a simple 'step A' MBSID. Do I just need one DIN 'board, or are more required?

Sorry for the noob question, I'm just sticking my head in the rabbit hole and seeing that it goes pretty deep.  ;)

Yeah the answers are searchable elsewhere, but off the top of my head, Link becomes a "Shift" button, CC & Edit by default are PageUp/PageDown, using shift key to get CC & Edit functions.

If you're building "step C" for V2, consider:

* a Volume "row" on the mod matrix under Filter.

* an extra LED for LFO Waveform, called "Positive" (you can have postive-only waveforms).

* MAYBE rename "Arpeggiator" to "Phase Offset" *** UNCONFIRMED!

* a Volume "row" on the mod matrix under Filter.

* an extra LED for LFO Waveform, called "Positive" (you can have postive-only waveforms).

* MAYBE rename "Arpeggiator" to "Phase Offset" *** UNCONFIRMED!

didn't TK say that he will never change any frontplate layout ?!?

*confused*

http://www.midibox.org/forum/index.php?topic=9040.0

TK did say that he won´t change his own front panel. But I´d translate this to "it will probably always be possible to access all functions of the MBSID through an ordinary step C CS". When new functions are added, it´s not forbidden to think about useful additional ways to access functions. And of course more functions mean that some things have to be accessed through "hold shift, press button" actions as long as you don´t add new buttons.

Seppoman

MY build log is about 6 or 7 months old. Still stick at same point wiring display. Once I do that, I can finish wiring front panel and code my custom buttons... Bah.

Added bankstick. SOOO EASY. It's just one chip, but it's hanging right off main board. I urge everyone to get one.

Before you all go off and redesign your layouts, just keep in mind that just because TK has a nice panel that he's not going to throw out, there's no reason why people can't design whatever layout they like. I just threw in some ideas, they're not mandatory.

• 2 months later...

I haven't posted on this in awhile because I was waiting for the dudes at monome.org to release their keypad kit. (yeah, its expensive for some buttons, but dangit i think it looks awesome)

i'm going to be using the 8x8 keypad layout for the modulation matrix, which means i'll have that extra row for Volume.

must apologize for the image quality, i really need something else besides a phonecam...  :'(

07-06-07_1720.jpg

07-06-07_1937.jpg

07-09-07_1628.jpg

Sizewise, its about the height of the C64 breadbox.

Ordering the rest of the DIN and DOUT boards from smash tonight...yay finally.

Wow, using the monome keypad in an midibox is an awesome idea.

Yet another idea to add to my "to steal" list  ;D.

Just lurking in these forums is really inspirational. Just you wait, in ten years time I will build the greatest MB SID ever  ;).