Need some help getting started

Fall_X

Hi,

So, I decided to build a custom controller. I don't know anything about electronics or soldering, so I hope I'll succeed :)

I want to go for a modular approach. So I want one core Midibox63 box, which will have maybe 2 to 4 knobs or sliders and the LCD screen, and some inputs to which I can connect other boxes, which will have the controls. Is this achieveable? Is there any information available on how to do this? What kind of cables will I need for this, and what do I need for the inputs/outputs?

I will also add a small midi to usb convertor in my core box, and a midi hub (both of which I probably won't build, I'll buy them), so I can attach other usb devices to it directly (ie mouse, keyboard) and route this to the computer with one cable (which will also send the midi data). I don't think this should be a problem, but maybe I'm missing something?

How much do you guys think this core box will cost me, without the case? So it will house a midi2usb convertor, a midi hub, 4 knobs/sliders, the Midibox32 system, and two/three inputs for the external boxes, and the cables etc. Also, how much time do you think it will take to build this (again without the case)? I'll deal with the seperate boxes later, once I get this working.

Thanks for your help.

hi !

so i had the same idea some time ago to have one core which i could then use for different projects in a simple case.

i soon dropped the idea for several reasons.

the first thing are the connections - it's very very uncomfortable to have a few boxes on the desktop with cables between them - looks more like a guitar effect chain then a midi controller and is very inconvenient.

the second problem were the connections themselves - it's recommended to have the connections to the core as short as possible (especially ground) - this system causes the problem that you make the connections longer and you can have additional problems with it.

The cables wouldn't be a problem for me. I want to use it together with some other people for live performance, so we'd each need a seperate box, each his own instrument so to speak.

So the best way of doing this would probably be just creating different midiboxes, and connecting them with a usb hub (or several midi in's), right? This is probably a bit more expensive I guess.

expensive because you need a separate core for each box but the reliability is much higher - remember these are diy projects - when one of your friends pulls his cable to hard the whole system is down. when you have separate boxes you can be sure that the system is intact even without one piece of gear.