Need help in decision

u918244

Hello forum,

I am very new to this subject and read quite the whole day now in the forum and the wiki and so on.

I'm a bit confused, don't know what project to build. I want to do the following:

I'd like to build a midibox to control the DMXControl Software. I need 1 fader to crossfade between the actual and the next light setting. The pre-programming of settings will be done by the use of the virtual faders on the screen.

Maybe if I have to build 8 faders the seven other faders can be used to fade in submasters.

I furthermore need about 30 buttons to play sounds from the computer (mp3 or ogg).

It would be nice to have 48 LEDs for the monitoring of my 48 DMX channels (just the info if light is in use or not).

Definitely needed are two buttons to change the setting to be faded to by the crossfader.

Can anybody help me? Which midibox do I need? Midibox64 / 64E or LC???

I am confused!

If you are a german user, you should answer in German, maybe by private message?!

Thanks in advance,

Heiko

hallo u,

bin selbst eher "newbie", doch gerade bei einer ähnlichen entscheidung. der unterschied zwischen 64 und 64E ist nur, dass die E eher encoder und keine potis bietet (kein analog-in), daher wäre diese entscheidung enmal wichtig (potis ODER encoder). Der crossfader ist aber analog, daher wäre doch ein design mit der 64 (ohne E) firmware ins auge zu fassen.

Ich war auch sehr verwirrt über die vielen möglichkeiten einerseits, die beschränkunge der unterschiedlichen firmwares andereseits. das gute scheint mir aber, dass man ja jederzeit die firmware umspielen kann, wenn der core einmal spielt. Ich habe nun die ganze theorie beiseite gelassen, das hat mich nur verrückt gemacht, ich warte auf die teile von MIKE, baue den ersten core mit einigen tastern und potis, und schaue mir das dann praktisch an.

Gruß, karl.

• 2 months later...

Hallo auch.

Ich habe etwas ähnliches vor.

Ich werde drei Midibox LC als 24-Kanal interface fuer eine eigene DMX-Steuersoftware

verwenden. auf den Motorfadern koennen dann 24 kanaele angezeigt und bearbeitet

werden, bzw. ueber mehrere "Seiten" jeweils 24 kanaele vor und zurueck geblaettert werden,

die dann ueber die fader regelbar sind.

Manchmal will man eben doch waehrend der Auffuehrung etwas nachregeln, was ich ueber die

Software (man hat mit dem mauszeiger nur einen finger!) etwas umstaendlich und unintuitiv finde.

Die "preview", welche kanaele aktiv sind, laesst sich mit hilfe der "Meters" ausgeben, die

jeweils 12LEDs beinhalten. So laesst sich auch die ugf. stellung der scheinwerfer angeben.

Zusaetzlich gibt es noch die LEDs fuer die V-Potis (encoder), die man ebenfalls anders verwenden

kann, so ergeben sich 48 Kanal-Previews.

Für Theaterproduktionen kommt dann ein Audioplayer in der software hinzu,

der ebenfalls auf die regler gelegt werden kann. (mehrere player sind denkbar)

Die letzte Hürde werden jetzt Audio-Eingaenge fuer Mikrofone und CD/MD-Player.

Damit lassen sich dann Live-Texte mit einsprechen, aufnehmen, veraendern, widergeben.

(-> Das macht das Pult dann auch fuer Radio-Produktionen attraktiv)

Vielleicht hat jemand eine Idee wie ich die Audio-Inputs realisiere?

Momentan will ich einen rackmixer einbauen und dessen Potis durch eine computersteuerung ersetzen.

Vielleicht konnte ich aber auch einfach nur ein Paar Anregungen geben...

MfG, Paul

Hi und Hallo,

just to be kind to the other readers, I'll answer in english.

Ich habe etwas ähnliches vor.

Ich werde drei Midibox LC als 24-Kanal interface fuer eine eigene DMX-Steuersoftware

verwenden. auf den Motorfadern koennen dann 24 kanaele angezeigt und bearbeitet

werden, bzw. ueber mehrere "Seiten" jeweils 24 kanaele vor und zurueck geblaettert werden,

die dann ueber die fader regelbar sind.

Are you sure that your own DMX-control-software is able to use/transmit the Mackie-protocol?

Otherwise you couldn't use the MIDIboxLC. The behaviour of the LC is very different from the 64 or 64e!

Die letzte Hürde werden jetzt Audio-Eingaenge fuer Mikrofone und CD/MD-Player.

Damit lassen sich dann Live-Texte mit einsprechen, aufnehmen, veraendern, widergeben.

(-> Das macht das Pult dann auch fuer Radio-Produktionen attraktiv)

The easiest way to use the LC for Audio is to use a MIDIboxLC with a host application like Nuendo or Cubase or any host that supports the Mackie-Emulation.

Of course you can use it for radio-applications in that way.

Controlling Audio directly with the motorfaders was often discussed but I think nobody realized it yet.

The only way to do this is to use Stereo-Motorfader. In this way you'll have the second tap free for audio-purpose. But remember: The tap for the LC must be LIN and the tap for audio should be LOG.

Another way to control audio with a 2xlin Stereo Fader would be an audio control via VCA. Don't know if anybody done it yet.

greets

Doc

Currently I just want to have my DMX-Software controlled by MIDI.

And in the other direction have i.e. my Szenes shown directly on the MotorFaders

to easily edit them (the most intuitive way)

If that works with OpenSource Software (I've already got two programs that should be able to do that),

there might be the possibility to write my own software using the commands to controll the

DMX-Interface and using the MIDI-commands to get-and-give Signals from/to the MidiBox.

Shure the MidiBox LC was designed for Logic/Cubase and Software like that, but why not use

it in a different way if it works? There are a lot of MIDI Controllers on the market for my purpose,

but why not build one on my own? - for less money ;)

If there is a better MidiBox for just getting and giving signals (and maybe Displays to give the Faders Names)

with the ability to use MotorFaders, I'd be glad to know :)

best regards,

paul

Shure the MidiBox LC was designed for Logic/Cubase and Software like that, but why not use

it in a different way if it works? There are a lot of MIDI Controllers on the market for my purpose,

but why not build one on my own? - for less money Wink

Thats what I wanted to say.

The MIDIboxLC only "speaks" and "understands" the MackieProtocol. So if your DMX-Software is able to speak "Mackie" the LC is your box!

If there is a better MidiBox for just getting and giving signals (and maybe Displays to give the Faders Names)

with the ability to use MotorFaders, I'd be glad to know Smiley

Maybe the MIDIbox64e suits your needs better. You also can connect Motorfaders to it but you can't dispaly the fadernames (yet).

The best thing is:

Both boxes are using almost the same hardware. It's no big deal to switch between the applications.

My suggestion:

Build a small box and test it. If you've found the right direction you can expand your box exact to your need.

greets

Doc

Building a small box first was my idea.

I decided to build a MBLC, just because since the MBLC came out, there

weren't any more MB64e around using Motorfaders.

Anyway I'll build a MidiBoxLC for my Studio, so I can see if I could somehow

use the Mackie protocol - giving the faders names would be great :D

But since I work with digital Consoles by Yamaha (01v, LS-9, etc.), I got

used to read the fader-caption off the screen... nevertheless, LCDs for

the faders would be more impressive ;)

Thank you for the advice ;)

-paul

I've worked in the sound and lighting fields for a long time.I have never seen DMX software that could speak mackie protocol. And I've used a lot of lighting consoles/software. 

And never seen a console with moving faders... well they'd actually be called 'dimmers'. Same thing, different field.

do you really need fade... dimmers at all. Could you use encoders instead? with led's to show approximate position.

Either way, it seems your building this for a fairly specific task. It migt be easier to write your own software. It's really not that hard.

The chances of being able to extract the channel names from any dmx software is incredibly unlikely.

However, it would be easy to create a static table containg the channel names, + midi info.

With a little work, you could set up the table with potential channel names. And then each fader could be able to select from the table what it has to do.

Happy to help you try!

I thought about doing exactly what you wrote.

First just for dimmers. At the moment I don't need any moving lights.

I'll have to learn a little more programming and communicationg with the

interfaces.

In the last days I changed my decision back to use 60mm Faders instead of 100mm.

de longer ones are only helpful for parameters that need to be more exact. and for that

I could use encoders.

My only problem atm is the programming ;)

The ideas for an intuitive handling of the console are all thought through.

Next month I will start building a Midibox 64E with 100mm Faders and use it with some

free DMX software I tried out with my MIDI keyboard ;)