Faulty PLED/OLED

sneakthief

Anybody ever have this happen to their PLED?

faulty-pled.jpg

I had it running very conservatively at 2.5v - I turned it on today and almost cried. These aren't cheap :(

I dissassembled the metal screen and all the contacts are fine. It looks like the organic substrate just totally degraded.

Maybe that's why Crystalfontz doesn't sell them anymore.

Oh that's a thought... I've been meaning to point out that I noticed that the PLED datasheets all say that nothing should come into direct contact with the surface of the screen, and that you should design a cover for it...

... and if you don't cover it, a camera lens cleaning cloth cleans off the messy fingerprints  ;D

hey there aren't any fingerprints on mine! just some dust and reflections :)

crystalfontz also offered to replace it with an LCD (since they discontinued their PLED's) but i don't think i can ever go back.

Oh that's a thought... I've been meaning to point out that I noticed that the PLED datasheets all say that nothing should come into direct contact with the surface of the screen, and that you should design a cover for it...

maybe i should sink them into the case...

The supplier was kind enough to offer me a replacement at half-price so I'm a happy camper :)

So does this mean you can only get an LCD as replacement?

Let us know if you have trouble replacing the PLED, as I know where to get a Winstar 2x20 (that's what Crystalfontz sells, relabelled!), and OSD (One Stop Displays) also make them and I know a supplier for them. Also check on eBay there are heaps of them there.

A few people on the P3 forum had similar problems. Seems like OLED/PLED has a shorter lifespan that expected in some cases.

I wonder how those MP3 players with fancy displays are doing?

I got a nice blue negative LCD 4x20 from RS for £11.70 plus VAT. Not the cheapest, but looks nice enough for my MIDIbox monitor, and should stay running.

Mike

So does this mean you can only get an LCD as replacement?

Let us know if you have trouble replacing the PLED, as I know where to get a Winstar 2x20 (that's what Crystalfontz sells, relabelled!), and OSD (One Stop Displays) also make them and I know a supplier for them. Also check on eBay there are heaps of them there.

Crystalfontz discontinued all PLED's. I have a feeling that their supplier wasn't able to provide a reliable product.