Midibox SID 1U Rack Completed!

djscoto

Hello everyone,

I just wanted to share my newly completed Midibox SID with you.

Specifications:

Core X1

SID X1 6501

LCD 40x2

Internal bankstick, switchable to external

Control Surface - 5 buttons and a pushbutton encoder

1U Rackmount Case

This thing is pretty basic, but it was extremely fun to build!  Please let me know what you think.  If you have any questions please let me know.

Here is a link to my blog about the steps it took for me to build it.

http://www.technomf.com/viewtopic.php?t=136

Installed in my studio

DSCN0706.JPG

Very nice looking :)

It's a shame that you didn't do the documentation here, as it's not unusual for external documentation to be lost later on :(

Also just a tip for next time - you're very lucky that you didn't fry anything by putting stuff on carpet - chances are that's an unnatural fibre and is a huge static damage risk!

Did you make any software mods or is it standard Step A?

Hey Stryd,

Thanks for the kind words.

In regards to the carpet thing, I was very careful not to put any electronics near the carpet due to the static electricity issue.  The only thing that ever touched the carpet was the empty case when I first purchased and photographed it.  Thanks for the tip though.  :)

As for software mods, I have not done any yet.  Its a standard Step A.  I plan on modifying the application soon, I just need to prioritize what changes I would like to make to it. 

I am having one issue with this that I hope someone could help me with...

My encoder when moving to the right works fine except when I stop it will sometimes jump back a few numbers.  I have checked my connections and everything is hooked up properly without any shorts.  My theory is that the encoder that I am using is malfunctioning.  I bought the encoder from smashTV and it is the one with pushbutton functionality.  Could anyone shed some light on this or recommend where I can get a new, high quality, encoder with a pushbutton? 

Thanks in advance.

smash's encoders are good quality... You might want to check your soldering, and maybe try another one, perhaps you overheated it or something...

Good to know, I have the same issue with the encoder on my SID.  Hasn't really bugged me that much, since I do my editing from JSynthLib, and about the only thing I use the encoder for is patch selection.

Nice 1U SID rack!  Once I finish my MBFM (and SID V2 is officially released), I'm going to transplant my SID into a rack as well.

How deep is that case?  It looks to be about 12" or so.

Thanks!  The case is about 10" deep.  The case used to be an old workgroup hub from back in the day.  It gives me plenty of space for future expansion.  The only issue with putting the SID in the 1U Rack is that the buttons need to be moved to the side due to space limitations. 

The encoder issue is pretty annoying when you are trying to edit patches on the road.  It takes some getting used to.  I wonder if there is a way to maybe slow down the rate of the encoder within the application so that it does not hop back when you stop.  hmmmm. 

Anyone else seen this issue?

Thanks Sasha,

Do you have any suggestions?  I chose this one because I am a big fan of the "Soft Touch" knobs. 

As you, I am BIG fan of soft touch knobs myself :), and I want to order same model, and same colour you used, from Farnell for controller I want to build for Ableton Live.  ;D They are really nice, but...

What I really don`t like is knobs with pointer mounted on encoder. ...Pointless!  ;D I especially don`t like when it sticks out, so when you turn encoder you will feel the pointer so many times under each turning finger. Maybe I`m overreacting but few people agreed with me. I will strongly suggest using Albs soft touch knobs used by many people here. Really nice ones! You can see it on TK`s SEQ. They comes in two colours - gray and black. They also make pointer-less Waldorf knobs (check out TK`s and especially Wilba`s SIDs) I spend so much time hunting buttons and knobs, and these are really only ones I can strongly suggest.  ;)

PS. And hows that Korg microKONTROL serves you?

I bought new one, and all but 2 encoders faild after only few months of sporadic using. >:( I would never recomend this controler. I also borrowed Korg Electribe from friend and was even more surprised with extremely low quality of the pots. They have some inexpensive gear, but quality of components are unacceptably bad.

I agree with regards to the Electribe, they're rubbish. Really cheaply made, and you can tell.

As for the encoder issue, it is possible to slow down the rate at which it steps up/down by modifying the code. I recall seeing it done, I forget by whom, but i'm sure TK will chime in here soon.

Any chance of getting some pics of the guts? Especially the control panel/LCD.

I am planning a 1/2 space 1 U rack MBSID. Step A, and would like to see how you have everything wired.

Sure thing, I will post up some pictures as soon as I get back in town (currently out of town for work). 

As for the encoder knob, the one I am using now is great, except for the fact that it has a pointer on it.  I would definitely recommend it for applications needing a pointer.  Here is the link where I purchased it from.  Soft Touch Knob

The MicroKontrol has been a pretty good controller for me, I have not had any problems with it yet (2 years of ownership).  I use it for live performances and as a general MIDI controller in my studio.  It was fairly inexpensive, so if it breaks soon, I will just harvest it and make my own controller from it.  ;)  The electribe is definitely cheaply made, but I really like the sound from it.  The effects are horrible, but as a first synth, it is a great training tool.  My Electribe has not had any issues with the pots yet, we will see.  I barely use it.

Thanks for the recommendations for my encoder knob.  I will hunt some down and post what I find. 

Hopefully we can find a fix for the encoder issue, it is pretty annoying.  Anyone else having this issue?

Thanks,

--Scott

• 5 months later...