DIY OSC controller

cleepa

Hello all,

Has anybody thought about or worked on creating a DIY OSC (as in Open Sound Control protocol) controller along the lines of the MIDI projects that have already been done here? The only hardware OSC controllers out there are the Lemur, which is really expensive, and the Monome, which doesn't have any knobs... I'd be interested to hear if anybody has done anything along those lines. Google searches haven't found anything!

Search..... Not google, that link up there ^  ;)

in short, this is not simple, you need ethernet and IP to run OSC, the PIC won't do it, it's gonna be expensive, and won't carry much benefit if any.

What do you want it for? (Aside from the obvious, which is "it'd be nice" hehehe)

Edit: You might consider Make's controller which talks OSC and CAN... >$100

cleepa,

I have some limited experience with the monome, CHUCK, MAX, Ableton Live and Midibox so far: I think MIDI is much more flexible at the moment than OSC, especially when adressing standard VST hosts and plugins.

Take the Monome crowd for example: they have to use a special CHUCK script in the background to convert from OSC to MIDI for Ableton Live control...

maybe you could try the reverse approach: use the MIDI bytes from a Midibox and convert those to OSC network commands via software. I think I saw a PHYTON script which can do this, also CHUCK would be something to look into. I myself use OSC to control CHUCK variables from a software GUI fader via a PHYTON script, it can not be too hard to make this GUI fader respond to incoming MIDI, too.

Look also into PROCESSING, PD and/or TAPESTREA, as those are all working in a MIDI/OSC crossover environment.

good luck, karl.

stryd, that makezine uC is obsolete compared to new devkits. Even their website looks like caricature, downplay of Nuts&Volts magazine, driven by money hunger (forgive me if im totally wrong ). 

- I also fail to see the importance of OSC in this topic.

well , i can find no answers by makezine staff in their ridicoulus forum engine, but google gives hits like

makezine.com: Make Enhanced Podcasts

well , lol :P

I ll look into this topic for sure. I think we can see some DAC hooked up to the avr32 very soon. The hardware accelerated dot product and fft computation is not bad thing either, too bad Im nowhere close to comprehend it mentally.

perhaps, I tought out a thingie for OSC controller usage!

we need scratchpad and a fader, even though it equals a CV scaler in my point of view.

OFFTOPIC:

so far i dont know who is playing the postcount-aholic, if you think its me, fine, "obviously, you have an opinion..."+1.

If you dont want to join into the osc hype thing (is there such?), me neither, fine, both the lemur and the monome are over my comprehension, maybe my postcountaholic degree is holding me back mentally.

Nuts & Volts

I thought I was the only person who still subscribes to that magazine.

How about Circuit Cellar?  anybody ?

Still working on my MiniMoog V controller, but kind of got sidetracked by a buddy on the PAIA group.  I was able to purchase some old kits from the '70s.  All CEM based (which would fix my Korg MonoPoly) 3 VCO's, Dual VCA, MultiMode Filter....  busy busy busy....

Have a GREAT WEEKEND my freinds

gb

• 1 year later...
  • 3 months later...

/__PING

/__PONG\0,s\0\0Traktor-name\0\0
#bundle\0\0\0\0\0\0\0\0\x1\0\0\0\x[SIZE]
	/Traktor.MasterVolume\0\0\0,f\0\0?
	/Traktor.Mix.Play\0\0\0,f\0\0\0\0\0\0
	/Traktor.XFader\0,f\0\0\x3F\0\x80\x80
	/Traktor.Deck0.EQHigh\0\0\0,f\0\0\x3F\0\x80\x80
	/Traktor.Deck0.EQHighKill\0\0\0,f\0\0\x3F\0\x80\x80

Just because Ableton is (retarded)disabled to MIDI input doesn't mean that OSC is obsolete and that we should all go back in time by converting HID and OSC data to MIDI. On the other hand I can't see the need in ableton for a high-er resolution faders/pots (correct me, I know you will).

DJ software needs high resolution control for PITCH faders and SCRATCHing. And probably not anything else.

One of the solution is converting "high res midi message" to OSC or HID depending what your application can comprehend.