New Newbie Question about assembling

Guest jprobbe

Guest jprobbe

Hi there,

Sorry to ask you such question but as I'm trying to build my own box I run into problems, mainly cause I'm a newbie in electronics.

My first goal is to assemble the JDM Module. So far I bought a vectorboard and all the components listed by Thorsten on the JDM page.

My questions follows :

1/ How should I link components together on a vectorboard (not a stripboard, not a protoboard) ?

2/ the 9 pin serial connector doesn't fit in the 0.1'' holes.

Should I drill myself holes in the vectorboard ?

Thanks for your help.

Hi!

Maybe you ought to search for some electronical sites on the web. Soldering the MIDIBox-Projects is not really difficult, but you can avoid a lot of stress with right basics  ;)

1/ How should I link components together on a vectorboard (not a stripboard, not a protoboard) ?

you can use the wires of components or almost any isolated wire when wires are crossing.

yes

Guest jprobbe

Thanks for your reply.

I have been looking around for a while but without success. My problem is concerning vectorboards, should I solder the bridge, the component and the board together ? or should I make bridges between two dots on the board using solder ?

Thanks.

I always solder the part to the vectorboard, and then use small pieces of wire to make the links..... but it is easier to use PCBs made for the job if you can, except for small circuits like JDM. I also made the JDM on vectorboard, and followed the layout of the "corona" layout, which I got off Thorsten's site ages ago. I used DIL right angle pins to go from the 9 pin D connector to the vectorboard (had to stretch the pins a little, to get it to fit

If you want to avoid drilling the holes you can use a cable mounted DB9 instead of PCB mounted and wire from the board to the connector.  It's a lot less headache than drilling holes.  Keep that cable short though!

Have Fun!

SmashTV