PCB small holes, how to fix to case

thestruggler

Hi,

Another silly one really. The PCB's i purchased have really small holes for the 4 corners, same size as the legs of the componenets. I cant seem to figure out to fix them to a case?? Also would be handy to be able to take them off if the magic doesnt happen and it doesnt work??

Thanks...from miserably rainy london.

Man, I think you need some more self esteem... There is nothing critical in drilling the PCB after all parts are mounted. You already have that small 1mm hole to guide the drill, if not drill it first with 1mm drill and afterwards with 3mm. I never pay attention on drilling those mounting holes before soldering. Sometimes I do it after I drill 1mm holes for components, sometimes before mounting the PCB. It really doesn`t matter. Sometimes I need mounting hole on some other place, not in corner of board. Just flatten your PCB onto some piece of wood and drill! Use sharp drill bit  and hold your board and will be no problems. Relax, and do it.  ;) 

Every once in a while I'll forget to drill out a hole in a PCB.  It happens.  That's why you should get yourself a jewelers hand-drill.  It's basically just a handle that fits small drill bits.  But this way you can be reasonably sure that the only thing that will break is the drill bit.  BTW, if you take this approach- be real careful with tungsten bits.  they're brittle.  It's often better to use steel bits for this reason.