photo MOS relays with DOUT?

sneakthief

I was wondering if these MOS photo relays would work with a DOUT?

G340272.JPG

http://www.pollin.de/shop/detail.php?pg=NQ==&a=NzI3OTU2OTk=

Datasheet: http://www.pollin.de/shop/downloads/D340272D.PDF

I don't see why this shouldn't work seeing as the DOUT would be interfacing with a 3V 50mA LED inside of the photo relay. This would be a lot cheaper than buying a few dozen reed switches (0,15 euro each when ordering > 10). And the 1.5ms average on-time is pretty snappy.

Any thoughts?

(I moved this post from Midification because it's a more general question)

Very good point. I've no experiences with photo MOS delays, but it looks like a 4066 w/o galvanical connection, which is good! Somebody has to try this on some real gear

Btw.: according to the data sheet, the LED operating current is 1.4mA typical, and 3 mA maximum (not 50 mA) - thats even better :)

Best Regards, Thorsten.

TK - thanks for the correction! I don't know what the heck I was looking at when I wrote down 50mA. heheh.

Anyhow, I've ordered 40 of them and will be trying them out in a couple of days (midifying a Jen SX1000).

Do you think 220 Ohm resistors will be appropriate for the connection between the DOUT and this relay?

cheers,

michel

• 2 weeks later...

ok i got them and they work great!

the picture makes it look like they're surface mount but they're actually regular 8-pin DIP's - however the legs have been bent then cut off. heh.

anyhow this is a great alternative to reed switches although they obviously require more space and time to solder.

Thank you! :)

So, you don't need any additional components, right? Just Pin 1 via 220 Ohm resistor the digital output of the 74HC595, Pin 2 to ground, and pin 6/4 to the keyboard. What happens with pin 5?

Best Regards, Thorsten.

TK: you're correct - and no extra parts are needed :)

I successfully midified the keys of a Jen SX 1000. Its keyboard scanner has a matrix of 3 octaves x 12 notes. I simply connected pin 4 to the one of the three octave wires and pin 6 to one of the twelve note wires and it worked!

So pin 5 need not be connected in this configuration.

The response is fast too! I had some fast note-sequences playing without any noticeable lag or squishiness.