MB64e - How to make encoders endless. No 0-127 limit?

dstamand

Good morning all genius,  ;D

I just successfully got my encoders working on my MB64E app, now i can't get it to work the way i want. I need endless rotation encoders, no 0-127 limit. My purpose is for a DJ jog wheel, it can't be limited to 2, 6... 10... or wathever rotations, it need to be unlimited.

Am i wrong ?

Hello, dstamand. There is no limited encoders. Your encoders are fine. Encoder usually have 24 pulses, and MB64E is the one that convert those pulses to MIDI steps (0-127). You need to configure your encoders on MB64E to send relative values not absolute, but your software needs to support it at first place.

I just tried with my LCD connected to the core and when i set the enc to INC/DEC, i only get 1 or 127, i use midihack to look at the midi messages and i don't get any incremental value.

8142  B0 61 01                  Control Change, channel 1, controller = 97, value = 1

8166  B0 61 01                  Control Change, channel 1, controller = 97, value = 1

8178  B0 61 01                  Control Change, channel 1, controller = 97, value = 1

8199  B0 61 01                  Control Change, channel 1, controller = 97, value = 1

8234  B0 61 01                  Control Change, channel 1, controller = 97, value = 1

8366  B0 60 01                  Control Change, channel 1, controller = 96, value = 1

8404  B0 60 01                  Control Change, channel 1, controller = 96, value = 1

8422  B0 60 01                  Control Change, channel 1, controller = 96, value = 1

8438  B0 60 01                  Control Change, channel 1, controller = 96, value = 1

8458  B0 60 01                  Control Change, channel 1, controller = 96, value = 1

I tried every other enc mode settings and no success.

Btw, my software support incremental.

I really need to get it done, meeeh!  :'(

I'm using M-Audio Torq DJ software, the software scratch wheel midi control is supposed to learn CC-Relative.

The Torq software default is Ch1, 22.

Well, nothing append if not Absolute enc mode is set in the midibox. I've tried all enc mode.

I think it is M-Audio software glitch. I'm going to seek help from them.

Thank you so much TK for the midibox.

Just tried with Traktor 3, works perfectly. Smooth scratch and a lot of adjustment in the software. I'm waiting for M-Audio to answer my request. They change the midi engine in the last Torq version 1.04, many other controller has stop working with Torq since but the new M-Audio Xponent control surface scratch wheel works really good :-X.

They change the midi engine in the last Torq version 1.04, many other controller has stop working with Torq since but the new M-Audio Xponent control surface scratch wheel works really good :-X.

... welcome to the proprietary world of digidesign  :-* (I think they bought M-Audio - right?)

It wasn't changed to make it work better but just because they don't want other controllers to work with it anymore.

Greets, Roger

... welcome to the proprietary world of digidesign  :-* (I think they bought M-Audio - right?)

It wasn't changed to make it work better but just because they don't want other controllers to work with it anymore.

Greets, Roger

MIDI control can be assigned to the scrolling waveforms (for scratching with a device other than Xponent).

This is why they did the changes. I'm still waiting feedback from them this morning.

____

May I ask something slightly off topic... why do you prefer Torque over other DJ programs that are longer in much use? What is special about it?

I like the way the waveform is displayed, the 16 cells sampler that sync to master tempo, the built-in effects, vst plug-ins support, the way looping works etc... It all come with an Asio soundcard, 4 in, 4 out. I just paid 289$ CAN for all of this.

I know That Traktor is a powerfull piece of DJ software. I was to buy it last January when i choose Torq instead.

Check those free Torq/Xponent Tutorial videos at http://www.torq-dj.com/videos/ with Chad Carrier.

____

I got this reply from Chad.

Torq is designed to increment any time it receives a MIDI CC greater than 64 (the higher the number, the greater the nugde). It will decrement any time a value of 63 or less is received. If your controller has various output modes, try swithing it to one that corresponds to the behavior I just described.

-Chad

by chance, i just got my M-Audio Xponent tonight, the Jog wheel send midi:

B0 16 41 for up at lower rotation speed, faster turns = bigger number values.

B0 16 3F for down at lower rotation speed, faster turns = smaller number values.

Now, about my midibox encoder, i know my problem, my encoder don't turn fast enough, i'm going to multiply by 10 the rotation speed of my jog wheel encoder with a belt. I'm sure it will work after that change.

Thanks.