newb question....c7 and c8 core module...are polyester caps ok?

evilxsystems

• 4 weeks later...

I'm sure you've already gone ahead and done this, but if anyone else is wondering, yes, they are fine.  Polyester, mylar, etc, (all the film caps) are better than ceramic.  They have much better tolerances.  You can always replace a ceramic w/ a film cap, but not the other way around.

oh, thanks!  I didn't know that! 

well shoot..  I'd better get some cheap ceramic caps, then, cause all I have are film.  And in that case, I'd guess you'd really want monolithic ceramic disk, rather than one of the better multi-layer ceramic's.

I just went and looked at a bunch of synth modules I built, and they do all have ceramic for decoupling caps.  That must be a bit of information I forgot over the years.  I took a two year break from electronics and am just getting back into it.  It's crazy all the little things I've forgotten.

If it's audio or lower speed digital, no problems - I used 10n/100n polycarbs on my SNvoice card, because they fit the board better, and I'm sure there is no audible difference from the one I built for a friend which had ceramics.

If I was running 50MHz+ clocks on logic chips, then I would be making sure I fitted them