can you do hz/volt triggering ?

huck

Hope that this has not been asked before.i have a Yamaha cs-10 that(as the other CS's from Yamaha and old Korg's) uses Hz/Volt triggering. could i build a midibox seq that did hz volt on one output and "regular" cv on another output on a couple of other outputs and midi also?

did a search did not find out

thanks

shane

What you want is not triggering, but tracking.

In analog synths a trigger is a logic sugnal that triggers - hits - starts something, eg an envelope.

V/hz (continuous) cv can be done by the midibox-cv. Propably by the seq as well, if you change the code, but i don´t know.

The analog function of the seq are more basic i think. For people like us with special analog setups a mbcv is the choice. Read the manual and you´ll know what i mean. It´s got all you could ask for!

There's a couple of things worth mentioning here...

V/Hz is a logarithmic scale. The math required to convert the linear output to logarithmic is too taxing, so instead we use a lookup table. Such a feature is part of the intended design of the MBCV, but not of seqv3. Whether seqv3 has enough memory available for such a feature is questionable (because the memory is used for other features).

TK has pointed out (at least I think so, I can't find the quote now) that 8bit values are too coarse for smooth logarithmic output. This is no problem if it is coming from an internal generator like an LFO, or you can get 10bit from an AIN, but only RPNs and pitchbend will be smooth, all the 7bit outputs would be very steppy. (Edit: he may have been talking about inputs actually...darn where is that quote I saw yesterday?!)

I'm sure there's the possibility of doing this electronically (in hardware not software).

I've had this one a few times with other gear: the answer is to use a custom MIDI-->CV, set up for the correct scaling. Worst case was for the Old ETI 5600, but the good news was that the new revised system was so stable we retrofitted the original quasi digital keyboard.

A MIDIbox driving a proper AOUT (not LC), could do it, and would probably have enough space for any other scalings you wanted to try. I did a 1/4 tone one once, using a TDS FORTH card, so that new scales could easily be uploaded. It was even possible to correct for non-linearity in the VCO, though attempts to add temperature stabilization ended in farce.

Sometimes keeping it modular is best.

Mike

thanks a lot. i am just getting into this all. have wanted to get something that would play my cs 10 for me for awhile. thanks for the answers. sounds like it would be better to build a midibox seq then a midi to cv box next have a 2 part solution instead of an all in one. thanks for the the replies.

shane

sounds like it would be better to build a midibox seq then a midi to cv box next have a 2 part solution instead of an all in one.

Please read stryd´s answer again, it would be way better to build a MidiboxCV AND a MBSEQ. You could build both into the same box - adding a MBCV is only one additional core module compared to a SEQ with AOUT. You don´t necessarily need a control surface for it, just plug a display and DIN to it once to configure/calibrate it and then leave it as it is. You could use an external MIDI loop to connect both boxes, so you stay flexible.

This solution would have way better performance, plus you don´t need to program new functions into the SEQ app.

Seppoman