SID output to balanced input (of M-Audio Delta 1010LT)?

Wilba

I'm deciding whether to buy an M-Audio Delta 1010LT or not...

http://www.m-audio.com/products/en_us/Delta1010LT-main.html

Seems perfect for my needs, 8x analog inputs matches my 8x SID box  ;)  but two inputs are balanced inputs, and I have no experience with balanced inputs. From what I can learn from the net, I understand how and why balanced inputs are a Good Thing, but I'm interested to learn whether it's going to be a problem plugging in my unbalanced SID outputs into these two balanced inputs, what kind of a converter/adapter I'll need, whether it will introduce noise or how else those two inputs will differ from the others.

The M-Audio Delta 1010LT has some jumpers for controlling the operating line level of the balanced inputs (see manual, if you can be bothered! http://www.m-audio.com/images/global/manuals/Delta1010LT-Manual.pdf).

The big question I'd really like answered is: Can I easily use these balanced inputs to record SID output approximately the same as recording them with the unbalanced inputs? i.e. is there a cheap DIY solution for making a "DI box" to convert SID output to balanced input?

Hi Wilba,

interfacing unbalanced and balanced equipment is normally no problem. When using a purely balanced input with unbalanced source, you just loose 6dB of volume and of course the increased noise immunity of a balanced signal. But with line levels and short cables (max. 10 m) you´ll hardly notice any negative effects.

It would be possible to make the SID output symmetrical, but you´d need several parts (transformers or OpAmps) per channel and the only real advantage would be in live situations that you could make stage technicians happy cause they need less DI boxes ;)

Seppoman

hi wilba

although i cant speak about the output from a sid ive used an m-audio delta 1010 lt  for roughly two years in my midi-box and have  been really happy with the results that i get mainly recording  accoustic instruments using shure sm58's i set all the inputs to line level then i use a small 8 channel pre-amp between the mic's and card some of the results ive got are really quite impressive for saying  the cost of the equipment

using this set up theres no difference between the first 2 channels balanced and the next 6 inputs

regards kris

Thanks for the replies.

I really don't plan to buy a pre-amp, as I don't plan to record anything other than SIDs, eventually an MB-FM                                          and SpeakJet and other synth toys perhaps... I'd really like a nice easy solution to connecting an unbalanced jack into a balanced socket.

Quoting from Wikipedia:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Balanced_audio

A simple method of driving a balanced line is to inject the signal into the "hot" wire through a known source impedance, and connect the "cold" wire to ground through an identical impedance. Due to common misconceptions about differential signalling, this is often referred to as a quasi-balanced or impedance-balanced output, though it is, in fact, fully balanced and will reject common-mode interference.

... this seems to suggest all I need to do is put a resistor beween the unbalanced output and the "hot" wire, and a matching resistor between the "cold" wire and the unbalanced ground. More references all over the web suggest similar things, that some microphones just have a couple of resistors in them to drive a balanced input by "impedence-balanced" method (as opposed to the "differential mode" with inverted signals), with no problems about noise interference (because the signal really is balanced) so it seems like all I need is a couple of plugs and some resistors to hack together a simple adapter, but I'm stuck finding details about the resistors to use, and any confirmation that I'm on the right track and not being a st00pid n00b  ;D  The closest I've come is this article, which suggests a couple of 75 ohm resistors is all I need: http://www.soundcraft.com/extra_product_pages/audio_balancing/index.html

Wilba, I also own Delta 1010LT, and must say it is maybe best price/quality soundcard you can buy. It has very good and stable drivers. All recommendations.

Only downfall is breakout box. :( I wanted to make my own panel with all connectors on it for mounting it to the mobile audio workstation I am building (didn`t started yet) but the problem is DB44 connector which is very hard to find. I found it somewhere online, but ordering and shipping of only one connector was bit pricey. If somebody can buy it in some local store and send it to me I would be very thankful. Sure, I would pay for it.

Stryd, thanks for the great link!

Up until recently I would have rated the 1010, but it seems like ever since Avid bought M-Audio, the drivers have been slow and press has been bad in general...

There are drivers that are being released at the moment, I would hold off for a bit, and keep an eye on blogs and their support forums to see how they fare.

• 2 weeks later...

Well, I got the Delta 1010LT, the breakout box was of little importance to me, as I rarely will switch inputs and would like the cables neatly tucked away at the back anyway.

The balanced input problem was solved with a homemade XLR to RCA adapter, just connected signal to pin 2, ground to pin 3, left pin 1 open. I set the jumpers for the balanced inputs to the default "line level" mode instead of "mic mode"... with identical SIDs, the balanced input is a tiny bit hotter than the other unbalanced inputs, but other than that, no other audible difference.

After mucking about with an original SB Audigy Platinum and kX drivers and doing all the magic rerouting to get 8 inputs and being stuck with only one sampling rate option, this card is a pleasant change, just plug it in and all the ASIO inputs are there at any sampling rate you like, with low latency and nice input level controls and all the pro stuff.

Only downfall is breakout box. :( I wanted to make my own panel with all connectors on it for mounting it to the mobile audio workstation I am building (didn`t started yet) but the problem is DB44 connector which is very hard to find. I found it somewhere online, but ordering and shipping of only one connector was bit pricey. If somebody can buy it in some local store and send it to me I would be very thankful.

Farnell stock them, but I need to check how much the insert pins are: you don't do solder on 3 row D connectors, and you need the pins and possibly a crimp tool.