[blog] SIDSt4ti0n Photoblog

FLD

• Replies 95
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I just did some more tests with the modules:

I checked for shorts outdoor against the sun.. i scratched all the places that looked a little suspicious.. but i couldn't find anything big

I did the Voltage tests at the SID page:

Module with Audio Wire:

IC1:Vdd(28) - IC1:Vss(14) = 9V

IC1:Vcc(25) - IC1:Vss(14) = 5V

IC2:Vdd(16) - IC2:Vss(8) = 5V

IC3:Vdd(16) - IC3:Vss(8) = 5V

Module without Audio Wire:

IC1:Vdd(28) - IC1:Vss(14) = 13,7V

IC1:Vcc(25) - IC1:Vss(14) = 5V

IC2:Vdd(16) - IC2:Vss(8) = 5V

IC3:Vdd(16) - IC3:Vss(8) = 5V

So because the module with audio wire has correct voltages i tested it again with the interconnection test (no i didn't forgot to hook the registers), but i get nothing at all :\

It's starting to get weird, and i´m starting to get out of ideas :\

But the good thing is that i was able to groove with the 6581's and SidPlayer!! That really cheered me up :)

The module that gives you almost 14v seems to have a problem with regulation, or a short in the power path, else the voltage could not be so high.

If the module that has the right voltages does not react to the interconnection test, the problem is most likely in the wiring between core and sid board. I can't check your pictures right now, will do that tonigt.

The module that gives you almost 14v seems to have a problem with regulation, or a short in the power path, else the voltage could not be so high.

If the module that has the right voltages does not react to the interconnection test, the problem is most likely in the wiring between core and sid board. I can't check your pictures right now, will do that tonigt.

Maybe the regulator is broken?

I always use the same cable made with Harwin connectors to connect the modules. I don't think the cable is the problem :p

I just checked the pictures, and other than sloppy soldering I can't see anything useful. I would suggest you take an ohmmeter and check the leads for shorts. Flux can also be conducting, so if there's any residu be sure to remove it.

Yea those two are the PCB:s that i forgot to wash :D

Solder does not want to stick to a board that is not washed after etching.

I fixed the another module by resoldering some of the components. So tomorrow i have to resolder the other module too :>

So i decided not to make the last SID module.. Atleast for now :D

I did everything i could and it didn't wanna start working. I got 2.6Volts from the SID Sockets pin 14 and 28.

Well anyways now i´m doing the wiring for the multiple setup. And i discovered a Bug from the Change ID application. When you upload it to your PIC it works OK and displays the new Header, but when you try to upload a new program it does not want to take it in.. What i mean is that it does not give a checksum and it does not work even with the force mode.

The versions that i used:

bootloader_v1_2b_pic18f452.hex

change_id_v1_9c

It also might be that i did something wrong :P

Well that does not stop me wiring the modules, so atleast i have something to do ;)

Btw i ordered a box for my midibox today. One of those cheap Hammonds aluminum cases for 22e it's dimensions are 400x200x76mm

1441BK_B.jpg

I know the 76mm height is pretty odd. But im sure ill figure something out. Its gonna be something like the Virus Desktop. And its only 20e so its not a big deal if it does not work out :p

techman_website2_i00008f.jpg

I try to make it look like that. So it will definitely need some cutting :)

Now someone is gonna ask that how did i plan to get text to the surface of the box. Well i´m gonna try these PnP sheets that are specially desinged for frontpanels.. Who knows maybe this could work :p

Well anyways now i´m doing the wiring for the multiple setup. And i discovered a Bug from the Change ID application. When you upload it to your PIC it works OK and displays the new Header, but when you try to upload a new program it does not want to take it in.. What i mean is that it does not give a checksum and it does not work even with the force mode.

Did you notice that after the ID is changed, you´ve got to send the new program to this new ID? If you don´t change that, the PIC won´t react anymore.

@ FLD

Your second picture is definitely a P3 - do you know where it's from? I'm experimenting with panel layouts at the moment for my own, now the boards are up and running, and I'm experimenting with the layout.

Going to be interesting A/B testing against the MIDIbox Seq V3....

Mike

Someone should add this to the README ;)

I'm sure that you would miss this important hint if the README would be larger than today.

From the README:

The required application upload procedure is described
under http://www.ucapps.de/mios_bootstrap_newbies.html
[/code] And from the newbie bootloader page:
[code]
The device ID selected in the upload window must match with the device ID of the core which should response to the transfer.

Best Regards, Thorsten.

I'm sure that you would miss this important hint if the README would be larger than today.

From the README:

The required application upload procedure is described
under http://www.ucapps.de/mios_bootstrap_newbies.html
And from the newbie bootloader page:
The device ID selected in the upload window must match with the device ID of the core which should response to the transfer.

Best Regards, Thorsten.

Oh ok. I was just expecting something like "Notice that after changing the Header you have to update the Upload Options to match the new header". Thats why i missed it ;)

I added following hint:

This means in other words: after the MIOS device ID has been modified by the change_id application, the ID in the MIOS Studio Upload Window has to be changed as well, so that it matches with the new ID value.

...but I'm sure that it wasn't the last time somebody stumbled across this requirement... it just remembers me, how often I had to tell a certain person, that he needs to change the channel on his VCR when he wants to record the same program which is currently visible on TV.

Best Regards, Thorsten.

I have now wired all my modules together and ofc when i hook my Din chain to the master core, it does not work :p

No surprises there anymore, nothing ever works at the first try. :D

So i upload the MIDIO application to my core and started shorting the pins on the first DIN module on my chain and i see no MIDI Traffic.

Maybe i should do the srio_interconnection_test_v1? I already tried it but i couldn't figure out what pins it wants me to test. The LCD just gives me one pin name at a time, but multimeter has two test leads... I read the main.asm instructions but i had problems understanding them.

main.asm:

; The Pins are mapped to following Modulation Wheel Values:

;

;    # 0: Pin CORE::J8:DO and DOUT::J1:DO = ca. 5V

;    # 1: Pin CORE::J8:SC, CORE::J9:SC, DOUT::J1:SC, DIN::J1:SC = ca. 5V

;    # 2: Pin CORE::J8:RC, CORE::J9:RC, DOUT::J1:RC, DIN::J1:RC = ca. 5V

So basicly where do i put my multimeter test leads? It would be important that i´m doing the testing right :)

But i managed to measure the SC/RC voltages from the 74HC165 pins and all expect one showed 4,85. The one that didn't work is at the last module second last chip, so 11th chip must be shorted.

Can someone give some hints how to do the srio_interconnection_test because i couldn't figure it out :\

The interconnection test is testing whether the pins are high (5v) or low (0v).

You should be testing voltages relative to ground, i.e. chips sense high or low inputs as voltages relative to their ground pin (Vss). So you are testing if they are getting the high or low signals.

Your multimeter is testing the voltage difference between the red (+) and black (-) probes. So you put the black probe on ground (Vss) and the red probe on what you want to test, this tells you the voltage relative to ground, which is what you are testing for. If you put the black on Vss and red on Vdd then you will see 5v on the multimeter. Swap the probes around and you will see -5v (because ground is -5v below Vdd)

You should have already tested and made sure that all your ground (Vss) pins are connected and if you voltage test each ground (Vss) pin with the ground of your PSU circuit, they should all read 0v. Likewise, all the Vdd pins should be at +5v (except for the SID, in this case Vdd=12v or 9v, and Vcc=5v)

The interconnection test is testing whether the pins are high (5v) or low (0v).

You should be testing voltages relative to ground, i.e. chips sense high or low inputs as voltages relative to their ground pin (Vss). So you are testing if they are getting the high or low signals.

Your multimeter is testing the voltage difference between the red (+) and black (-) probes. So you put the black probe on ground (Vss) and the red probe on what you want to test, this tells you the voltage relative to ground, which is what you are testing for. If you put the black on Vss and red on Vdd then you will see 5v on the multimeter. Swap the probes around and you will see -5v (because ground is -5v below Vdd)

You should have already tested and made sure that all your ground (Vss) pins are connected and if you voltage test each ground (Vss) pin with the ground of your PSU circuit, they should all read 0v. Likewise, all the Vdd pins should be at +5v (except for the SID, in this case Vdd=12v or 9v, and Vcc=5v)

Oh ok, Thanks!

So i now did all the tests and i get 5v from them all, like it should be. So why isn't the MIDIO128 program sending any signals when i press the buttons? I even tryed with another core :o