Help needed connecting Smash's SID to Mike's CORE

dubka

Okay, in isolation everything is working.  And everything works as long as the core and sid are only connected by vs and vd.  The pins don't match on the 2 boards so I don't know what to put where as it doesn't work 1:1.

Any ideas?  I'm on the home stretch!!!!  :-)

Cheers,

Martin

yeah, that's already printed on the pcb but still doesn't match Mike's core...

What's CLK?  What am I meant to connect that to?  And why doesn't Smash's SID have an MD pin?

CLK is Clock, it is a connection to the clock pin of the PIC. It is not located in J10 of the core. Please see the SID (maybe the old SID_V2 board info) board interconnection info on uCapps.

Don't know about MD.

If I see it right, you have to connect the clock to the PWM.

PWM stands for puls wide modulation, with the pwm output from the core you clock the sid chip. On the old sid bord was an crystal which did that, but there were some problems. So TK clocked it with the core to fix this hardware bug. Read about the old schematic like NorthernLightX writes, so you´ll understand it better.

Greetings

Markus

by process of elimination I have discovered the "problem" connections to be:

MD  -  SC

MU  -  MU

If I disconnect either of these two, the lcd displays the usual bootup copyright, etc...

If either is connected I just get black bars...

Any ideas what the problem might be?

Have you connected all pins like that?

Core:              Sid:

Rc                Rc

Vd                Vc

Vs                Vs

Md                Sc

PWM              Clk

So                So

Mu                Mu

Yes.  And the lcd still works with PWM connected to CLK.

The problem appears to be with:

MD - SC

MU - MU

Also, with one of those connections the black bar started as 1 and a half black lines, then went back to just one after a second or so...?

Okay, I have it working now.

BUT I have another problem...

There's seems to be an issue with my bourns encoder (only 1 - step A cs).

It's doesn't quite want to scroll properly.  Sometimes it jumps a few numbers, sometimes it goes back a couple, sometimes it stays on the same one, sometimes the sound cuts out and a "noise" is introduced.

Any ideas?  I have an aluminium panel - heard some people had bother with that.  Maybe it's to do with the "detent" setting in the .asm?

Cheers,

Martin

Hello,

where was the problem with the sid and lcd?

The problem with the encoder could be a wrong pinning or the wrong detented mode.

I think I saw this in mios_tables.inc ? There you should set the detent or non detent mode. But I have no experience with that.

See also http://www.midibox.org/dokuwiki/doku.php?id=encoder_specifications

for encoder details.

Greetings

Markus

If you are using the Bourns PEC11 encoders from SmashTV (same for voti encoders), you don't need to change the encoder settings in setup_*.asm - they are already configured for the DETENTED2 type.

But check the pinning - there are three possibilities, two lead to a wrong behaviour (yes, one error effect is, that values are decremented and/or jumping). So, if the pinout description in the wiki doesn't help, just try the three possibiities until it works :)

Best Regards, Thorsten.

Thank you! :)

I must say, that I'm glad that you made such a good progress with building the hardware. To be honest: after your first postings I assumed that you will give up frustrated very early, since the whole synth DIY topic is so new to you. But now - two months later - your box is almost running, and you are helping newbies as well (on your way!) - thats really great! :)

Best Regards, Thorsten.

I have to comment on the bourns encoders that I don't like them very much. I'm quite sure I wired them correctly, but the handling is very unprecise. Many times doing one "click" has no effect, but doing 2 "clicks" jumps 2 values.

this remembers me, that I wanted to check the bourns encoders by myself (SmashTV sent me some parts time ago, but I haven't found the time to build a test board yet) - maybe there is a way to optimized the driver for these encoders (-> DETENTED3)

Best Regards, Thorsten.

Cheers TK.  :-)

It's been a steep learning curve and nowhere near as cheap as I'd hoped but well worth it in the end.

I must say, this bourns encoder feels awful and yes, it is especially unprecise.

It's connected properly as the other way I tried reversed the inc/dec so...

Anyone recommend another?  I tried looking on the Voti catalogue but couldn't see any.

The sound cutting out is still baffling me though.

It seems that if I land on the patch correctly wih the encoder it will play fine.  If not, I have to move and re-select it.  Obviously editing patches is out of the question...