plastic paint recommendation for c64 case

subatomic

I'm looking at krylon "fusion".

anyone had good/bad results with this kind?

got a better idea?

I want durable, but I don't want to melt the plastic to goo...    ::)

stores near me, home depot, walmart, kragen, and the internet... :)

I'll be painting the c64 black semigloss/satin . 

I'm also looking for sportscar orange (see picture):  (krylon only makes something called "pumpkin", I doubt it is similar...)

thanks for any advice, tips, experience.

I'm looking at krylon "fusion" anyone had good/bad results with this kind?

Only on walls ;)

FYI guys... I encourage you to boycott Krylon wherever possible. They have a long history of making money from graffiti, and then stabbing the wirting community in the back, and then jumping back on board, as they see fit. Basically they're weak as piss and won't support/will sell out the people who made them as famous as they are.

Edit: On a less political and more practical note, they are not averse to releasing an excellent product, and then changing to a crappier watery formula later on, while keeping the same branding/ naming/ packaging, so you never know what you'll get until you start to spray.

I recommend Montana brand paints these days....

I read on some blog that guy uses that krylon to paint some plastic case and he was satisfied with the results, but I have no experience with it. The only way to paint plastics in my country, where only black and gray paints for plastics exist (for repairing car bumpers) is to use primer for plastics that is easy to find. I spray few coats of primer and few coats of any spray paint, and result is very nice and pretty durable. The paints used are nitro, and no melting occurred because primer protects it.

thanks for all the ideas.  anyone actually tried any of this?

Any idea what the c64 case is made from?  (davo suggested nylon dye, but is it nylon?)

Sasha.  when you use primer + paint.  how durable is the paint?  does it rub off in time, or flake off?  i'm assuming the primer is a special plastic primer?

I would say it is pretty durable. As I used mat black paint it didnt rub of but it becomes somehow shiny on the places where it it rubbed. I believe if you use normal shiny paint it would be OK, but I`m a sucker for mat colours, especially black. The primer was plastic primer, and it wasn`t most expensive I could find. The paint is also some normal Cosmos spray paint, nothing fancy.

Use shitty paint; the cheapest kind that Home Depot has should work. 

I painted my x0xb0x (aluminum) and NES (plastic--feels the same as the c64) flat black and have no issues.  No cracks or anything. 

Spray a coat, wait a minute, spray another coat, wait 10 or 20 minutes, spray one more coat.

Glossy spray paint may have different properties.

Actually, now that I think about it, you should probably test it by painting the bottom or insides, first.  I recall my mc-202 pots and sliders not taking the spraypaint well.

Actually, now that I think about it, you should probably test it by painting the bottom or insides, first.  I recall my mc-202 pots and sliders not taking the spraypaint well.

my mc202 plastic melted when I sprayed clear coat onto it (I had a mod with some lettering I was trying to protect)...  that's the worst to discover.

I'm hoping plastic from that time period isn't all the melty kind or my c64 will have a problem...  :'(

(obviously not _all_, since your NES painted fine. :) )

will certainly test on the bottom of the case first.

>> I also used spray canned paint (for cars)

yeah, this shit's durable, i used some on my motorcycle once, it's like the same kind as auto paint, but easy to use in a can.  too bad i moved away from the place i knew who would mix any custom color i wanted.  need to find a new place. :)

sexy orange c64 by the way!

It's really important to use a primer. The C64 case plastic should be lightly sanded with a fine grade wet and dry paper before a couple of coats of primer are applied. Leave it over-night and then apply several thin coats of normal paint.

G