Can't solder the jumpers on straight...

shobley

Generally,  I start with the smallest components first (resistors, diodes, etc), then move to the next larger (taller) sized components.  I usually do the headers after soldering in the chip sockets.

1 - resistors/diodes

2 - chip sockets

3 - headers

4 - capacitors

5 - anything else taller

If you already have everything soldered, you need to reflow the solder on the headers and find a support mechanism (styrofoam, washers, anything that will give you the support you need for height).  You might need to use solder wick to remove the original solder, depending on your technique.  I have also found that using the FEMALE header plugs to support the headers works.  Simply plug in all the female headers, this will give you a couple of millimeters of height.  If you are working on the CORE, and have all of the power supply parts installed, you will need to figure out some kind of jig to get the height you need.

good luck,

gb

• 2 weeks later...

Whenever I solder sth onto a board I usually solder the two outmost pins first. Then I can just put some pressure on the component, melting the soldering tin on one of the two pins and move the component all the way to where I want it. Same thing again for the 2nd pin - done. Nice and straight. Now you can go ahead and solder all the other pins without having to worry about the component being placed crookedly.

... take a little blob of tin in the tip of your soldering iron, put the component in place and keep it with one hand, put quickly some of the tin with the other hand (i mean with the iron of course) now the component is in place, solder properly the other pin of the component, then solder the pin with the "bad soldered" tin blob.. finito

simone (i don  t remember who you are but i learned this in the forum..)

EDIT: txx Jimp wanna buy 25 of my errors? got plenty