V1 Upgrade to V2 - some hardware question

Rio

I'm ready to upgrade to MBSIDV2 and i want connect 2xSID to 1Core and 2x seperate SIDs to 2xCores.

i have readen the upgrade hints here:

http://www.ucapps.de/midibox_sid_manual_up.html

ok, but i own older SID-Boards (V2) and Core-Boards (V2) and i've still yet connected the boards like in this description:

http://www.ucapps.de/mbhp_sid_old.html

and here is my question:

1. I see in mbhp_8xsid_c64_psu_optimized.pdf (for stereo_sids) MD is connected to MD of both SID_L and SID_R. But in my old connection MD is connected to SC!! (the purple line).

Should it be still connected to SC of SIDboardV2? Should then the second sidboard connected from MD --> SC too? Additional, should i connect MD from core to MD of both SIDs too, like describted in new hardware.

2. PWM line is the clock for SIDs, i'm right? I've connected the SID module from Core::J7:SO/PIC Pin #17 (like in description of mbhp_sid_old.html) So, i don't need to connect PWM line in my hardware, i'm right?

3. If i wanna upload new MIOS Version 1.9f and upload new SID application - should i connect the 4bit LCD connection before or better after the new mios uploaded?

a)Does the new MIOS automatic recognize in which mode my LCD is connected (does LCD will show READY in both modes too)?

b)Does the new SID-Application automatic recognize in which mode my LCD is connected or do i have set it up by a flag in code?

4. I've expanded the Matrix to 8x8. I've oriented on description of wilba's document. I've connected the (-) volume line to the 8th bridge of J6 in DOUTX.

But the DIN description doesn't match with TK's DINX description, so i don't no where i should connect the button for volume of matrix. I think, the connection must be on the 3rd DINX board, maybe J3 (?) - but on which position? I would be glad for an explanation..

Best Greets, Rio.

PS: i hope my descriptions wasn't to complicated...

Hi Rio,

Should it be still connected to SC of SIDboardV2? Should then the second sidboard connected from MD --> SC too?

yes, because you've an older SID module version where the serial clock is routed to SC instead of MD.

Additional, should i connect MD from core to MD of both SIDs too, like describted in new hardware.

It's only important, that the serial clock input is connected to the core.

Please have a look at the bottom of your MBHP_SID module - is the MD pin routed to any IC?

2. PWM line is the clock for SIDs, i'm right? I've connected the SID module from Core::J7:SO/PIC Pin #17 (like in description of mbhp_sid_old.html) So, i don't need to connect PWM line in my hardware, i'm right?

Here again: it's just only important that the connection exists somehow, regardless how you realized it exactly.

3. If i wanna upload new MIOS Version 1.9f and upload new SID application - should i connect the 4bit LCD connection before or better after the new mios uploaded?

no special requirement, just upload MIOS and have fun. The PIC18F4685 variant will always access the LCD in 4bit mode

From you question I assume, that you haven't tried it?

Or is the LCD not working?

don't no where i should connect the button for volume of matrix.

you can connect it on any free DIN input, thereafter add following entry to the CS_MENU_DIN_TABLE of your setup_8580.asm or setup_6581.asm file:

DIN_ENTRY CS_MENU_BUTTON_M_Vol, 9, 5 ; (new, button below M_Filter, you could also re-arrange the assignment if you want)
[/code]

(In this example I assume, that the volume button is connected to SR 9, pin 5 - I will let this in the setup_*.asm file, so it will be available by default with the next release)

Best Regards, Thorsten.

Hi Thorsten,

So, i don't need to change any connection to SID like i've used before...?

no special requirement, just upload MIOS and have fun. The PIC18F4685 variant will always access the LCD in 4bit mode

you mean PIC18F4685 will always work in 4bit mode? I havn't tried it yet ;)

Thxs for fast reply...

Greets, Rio.

you mean PIC18F4685 will always work in 4bit mode? I havn't tried it yet ;)

4-bit mode is the default for PIC18F4685 with LCD Type #0 in the PIC ID.

If you ever want to use 8-bit mode, you need to use a custom driver (there is one in the V2 firmware) and do a bit of wiring.

So, i don't need to change any connection to SID like i've used before...?

If it was already working with v1.7303, then there is no need for changing the MBHP_CORE->MBHP_SID interconnections. The second MBHP_SID module will be connected the same way, only difference is the WR# input of the second SID, which has to be connected to J14 of the core.

Best Regards, Thorsten.