SEQ V3 Button/LED toggling for groups/layers/tracks?

creatorlars

I'm designing the frontpanel for my MBSEQ V3 and plan to implement a 16x4 LED display in between the LCDs and GP buttons.  I would like to lay out Group/Layer/Track/Trigger indicators along the same lines of the 4 LED rows... My question is, can I just use the LEDs as the selection indicators, and have a single button beneath each of these columns, that will toggle through the selections?  For example, 4 LEDs and 1 Toggle Button for Track select, instead of 4 LEDs and 4 Buttons?  I think this would look clean, and I'd be saving money on 10 buttons. :)

In effect, this would give me 4x20 LED rows with 20 buttons beneath each column of 4.  The 16 columns on the right would be separated from the 4 "selection" columns on the left, by using different color LEDs and Buttons.  (Of course, the 16 right columns would line up underneath the two LCDs.  I would probably mount the BPM LED display or the F1-F4 buttons above the four columns on the left.)  I'm mounting my datawheel in the bottom right corner, since it is a desktop console and I am right handed.

My question is, can I just use the LEDs as the selection indicators, and have a single button beneath each of these columns, that will toggle through the selections?  For example, 4 LEDs and 1 Toggle Button for Track select, instead of 4 LEDs and 4 Buttons?  I think this would look clean, and I'd be saving money on 10 buttons.

such a button function is not available by default, but could be added. Anyhow, I think it's worth to spend the money for the additional buttons, as you wouldn't be able anymore to select multiple tracks at once. This especially saves time when changing configurations like MIDI channel, MIDI port, track modes/directions/etc... on the selected tracks at once. (*)

Best Regards, Thorsten.

(*) just remember that this is not completely true - it is also possible to select multiple tracks with the GP buttons while MUTE is pressed. However, it's your decition. I can only say: than more dedicated buttons available, than better the workflow.

Ahhhh... that makes sense.  I was not aware of the capability to select multiple tracks.  I guess groups can be selected like this as well?  Such as, with Track 1+2, and Groups 1+2 buttons selected, it would be in effect, having tracks 1, 2, 5 & 6 selected? (Out of 16 possible?)  You don't have to answer my question, I am sure it is in the manual.  Just thinking aloud.

Workflow and speed are definitely a primary concern here... I work with a guitarist and bassist, and program all drum sequences during the writing process -- so the faster I can hammer out a sequence and move on, the less frustrated we all get during a long writing session. :)

Thank you, Thorsten!  I appreciate the work you have done with this project, thank you for inspiring me.