Connecting two front panels together 1.5mm

Echopraxia

I have a question about connecting two front panels together that are the same height of 1.5 mm. Can I attach threaded screw holes (I guess spacers?) on the undersides of the panels with some JB weld and line them up by lenght and width for each panel, then use some kind of flat figure 8 metal connector as a joint between the two panels? Has anyone ran into this issue? Take a look at my crappy diagram. My enclosure is a canabalized lighting controller that already has a front panel but it's not meant for midibox. It has a bend that I would like to keep where your hands rest. The actual panel is straight where everything goes like normal. What I want to do is cut out the whole panel leaving only the bended part and attach a new schaffer or similar panel to the bended part. The bended part straightens out where these two panels can possibly attach.

panel mounting_thumb.JPG

panel mounting.JPG

Or (if possible) leave enough of the original panel on four sides so that you can screw yours down into it.

/edit/ Oh sorry, I see you want to make them flush.  Forget the figure 8 thingys and use a piece of flat bar (which you could cut from scrap).  Either use self-tapping sheet metal screws, or small bolts with nuts behind the panel.  And you probably won't need quite that many connectors in it :)

Hey the simplest answer is the best one! Thanks for that insight. What is the best size/height metal to use for support of the main panel in my case of 1.5mm with everything loaded on just that one frame? I would just cut holes on the sheet metal where the bolts would go through right? Please correct me if im wrong. I have never used JB Weld but is that what I could use aswell to attach the metal to the panels? Or should I just use that for the nuts....? ???

I think a 10mm wide strip of metal could be glued with JB-Weld on the underside, over where the two panels meet... either one along the length of the join or a few short strips perpendicular to the join (like your diagram). You can cut strips from the part of the panel you're cutting out, should work fine. What kind of material is the original front panel?

I think its anodized aluminum inside and out Wilba. It was from a "niche automation station" control surface. Here is a picture. I am going to cut it right at the bottom of the row of 16 black buttons so just the wrist rest is left. The good thing is that what will be cut off is abot the same size as 3U. SO the panel should fit nicely. I should have enough spare metal from getting it cut to go the lenght of the unit about 19" wide and be 10mm in lenght. Now my new question is should I, a person with no experience, go out and buy a cutting tool and try it out on some test metal then go for it or just take it to a local metal cutting shop. I think a shop would be best because I need it to be exactly straight for 19" which I don't think I nor a hand tool could do. I guess they could just make two cuts for me off the main piece. Also what type of JB weld is preferred for what I am trying. There are some many types. At a glance it seemed like regular, industrial or the marine type would be good but I really have no idea.

7b48_1_thumb.JPG

7b48_1.JPG

Put some masking tape down along your cut lines before you cut.  It will help to keep the surface nice.  And you can mark your cutting lines on the tape rather than on the powder coat.

Having seen the photo of that controller now, I gotta echo the comments about keeping it as is!  That would make an awesome MB64E

My suggestion would be: JB Weld the flat bar underneath the existing panel, then bolt or screw your panel to that.  You'll need to weld a bar at top and bottom I guess, as well as the sides if you want.