encoders using optical sensors...

polosid

i want to realize a rotary dial around a big happ trackball... i thought that the better way to realize it would be to place an optical sensor\encoder under the border of this dial.

is there someone that knows what components are used in the optical mouses?

is it possible to buy this components separately or mouse hack is the only way?

is there a way to wire this components to the din boards?

thank you ... i'll read it all with attention

but what i was searching for was not exactly a mouse hack mathod

i search a way to build a jog wheel like the ones you see in the traktorizer project

putting an optical sensor under the jog wheel.

i think this could lead to a more precise and durable result.

this optical sensor could be ripped from a mouse (only y direction used) but for a more elegant solution i would like to buy such a sensor\kit and mount it in my project

i search a way to build a jog wheel like the ones you see in the traktorizer project

putting an optical sensor under the jog wheel.

After I cut top discs for MTE`s Traktorizer I started to think of making something for myself but optical high resolution.

I tested Encoder design software that Roger mentioned and didn`t liked it... I think it was option of saving just bitmap not vector, so I couldn`t use it to cut the acrylic wheel, so I design one in Corel saved the file and forgot about it till now.

I wanted to use same type of optocoupler like that Honeywell.

So Roger, did you make some electronics to support the optocoupler or you just conect it to DIN?

Another thing... HDD disc stepper is perfect for mounting the discs.

jog_thumb.gif

1775_jog_gif7c17ab8753c4045d7ded990a0e31

I tested Encoder design software that Roger mentioned and didn`t liked it... I think it was option of saving just bitmap not vector, so I couldn`t use it to cut the acrylic wheel, so I design one in Corel saved the file and forgot about it till now.

:) I had the same problem. I was just linking to this one, because I found it yesterday right away by Googling. I have three different ones by the time and as far as I remember, one had vector.... I have to check and post the precise name.

Another trick is, to play with the size/resolution and then change the ratio in a graphic editor.

One of those three tools I found, allows to print directly out of the tool.

So Roger, did you make some electronics to support the optocoupler or you just conect it to DIN?

... no, didn't connect it yet. Just ordered once 5 samples to implement into my big baby. According the specs, you can connect it directly to the DINs. As far as I remember, the pull-ups are already within the package.

Greets, Roger

I have three different ones by the time and as far as I remember, one had vector....

I also tried few diferent versions in diferent time periods and I was never satisfied. Maybe things have changed now. I like how you can setup encoder but the result wasn`t good for me. I`ll try again, even I don`t need it now.

Another trick is, to play with the size/resolution and then change the ratio in a graphic editor.

One of those three tools I found, allows to print directly out of the tool.

Sure, but that makes sense only if you are going to print the pattern. I wanted to cut it out of black acrylic so no glueing of transparent foil is necessery and mounting the disc easy precise, sturdy and nice looking. If you need it, I could cut it for you. Also, if you need vector of this image I posted I can publish it here.

... no, didn't connect it yet. Just ordered once 5 samples to implement into my big baby. According the specs, you can connect it directly to the DINs. As far as I remember, the pull-ups are already within the package.

That sounds good. I`m looking forward to see the results of testing the optocoupler with DIN.

Another good and simple idea is suggested by ToS when we talked about these jogs is to use HDD disc as a mirror and glue the foil on it. Optocoupler used is the reflective type so light bounces from the HDD disc. If it works good it could be easy to construct.

• 3 weeks later...

Another good and simple idea is suggested by ToS when we talked about these jogs is to use HDD disc as a mirror and glue the foil on it. Optocoupler used is the reflective type so light bounces from the HDD disc. If it works good it could be easy to construct.

... I don't think this will work.

1st: Most HD-Discs have some kind of "smokey" colour... absorbs the light

2nd: If you glue the foil onto the discs, I think you will get too many unwanted reflections.

Besides: If I look at the size of a HD-Disc (2.5"), why should I use the reflective technique? This technique needs much more precision and the effort is worth only for the matter of space saving.

Greets, Roger

Rabbit, what other technique would you use? Rubberband transmission/secondary encoder wheel(discussed above)/gear transmission?

1. solution: Ua "Honeywell HOA0901-011" (see link above)

2. solution (try out): Kevlar string transmission (ca. 20:1) on stepper motor. No rubber band... this would make it feel jerky. Kevlar string like the ones used by P&G for the fader drive transmission.

As TOS lives in Serbia like myself. I can say it is best and not expensive to lasercut code disc out of acrylic. I already did some tests using optocouplers connected to DIN and I`m satisfied. I have the ones with 3mm gap which is too small for 3mm acrylic but I might brake them and resolder on a PCB with 5mm distance between elements. I also tried the HDD spinner motors, they are very nice and rigid platform for jogs. Some are smooth some have small detents. I will cut the disc when I go to my laserman next time and will post the results.

As TOS lives in Serbia like myself. I can say it is best and not expensive to lasercut code disc out of acrylic.

... I think too, this is the best and easiest solution.

I think the stepper thing with a ratio of about 20:1 would give a nice heavy feel, the stepper would get speeded up even in slow motion use of the ring to give enough output and you would not feel any detends (magnetic ripple) from the stepper anymore.

Greets, Roger