about ST encoders and removing the detenting ring

cimo

hi

once again about hacking parts

This time about ST encoders, i proceeded as usual to de-detent them but iwas unsure if i had to remove the copper thingy or just to cut away the small lip causing the clicky feeling.I tried both methods  and as a result i had 2 encoders: that one with removed ring was stiffer (more pressure among the components), the other one easier to spin.

Saturday i went to a birthday, one of those reunion of people who are used to rubber pads, encoders, buttons, etc and brought with me the 2 encoders with knob (those beloved waldorf knobs) and run a test: well the stiffer encoder beat the other one, everybody liked it better.

Now first of all i d like to know your opinion, if any.

Then i have a tech question: do you think that an encoder without that copper ring could fail easily? after all being without copper ring is being out of spec, and if it is stiffer is because there is more friction inside.

thanks for reading

simone 

i ve forgot to mention that i also liked the stiffer version, i find the encoder with the bent ring (without removing the ring) too easy to toggle and therefore more prone to be moved by accident, the pitch between encoders in my box is 25mm, even less than in the 6582.

With "Voti" s encoders i didn t have the same problem, those ones are stiffer than bourne s and just bending the ring was ok for me.

simone