Weird DINX4 Problem!! (ex. broken sid topic)

ytsestef

Hi everyone again!

I managed to build the OPSU, the core and sid module, wired the lcd, uploaded everything i needed, today i played my first notes  ;D

I connected only one SID module, i wanted to check if everything works, then i was going to connect the second SID module for stereo setup...

After I made sure that the system works, I swapped SID modules to check if the second SID module works as good as the first one.

The module once again worked perfectly, with even better sound (the two 6581s are identical, even the manufacture date is the same), then, after 2 minutes the sound went ''chipmunky''. It sounded like there was some sort of permanent ring / frequency modulation, causing every note to sound way higher pitched than normal. I touched the SID and it was burning hot! I switched off, I took it off and put it on the other module. It produced the same chipmunked sound and it never worked again like normal...  :'(

Is it possible that this chip was broken? Or did it get toasted due to bad SID module? (I checked the voltages and it is ok). I'm too frightened to put the working SID in the other module where the other got burned. At least I would know that the module is ok and i only need a ''new'' SID. What's your opinion? Is it possible for a SID to play for 2 minutes, then die?  ???

I can one up you...

I just got my two 6582's from Wilba and got ready to try em out. I modified my dual SID module for the 6582 (it was set up for 6581s) and double checked everything and my 9v supply. I get one chip in to test and it doesnt work. I check again and notice that D7 and Vdd are shorted together. I thought "aha! if D7 is pulled up, nothing will sound right" then started to look for the short. I was in great dismay when I found it, it was in the SID chip. The Vdd and D7 pin where shorted on it.

I can one up you...

I just got my two 6582's from Wilba and got ready to try em out. I modified my dual SID module for the 6582 (it was set up for 6581s) and double checked everything and my 9v supply. I get one chip in to test and it doesnt work. I check again and notice that D7 and Vdd are shorted together. I thought "aha! if D7 is pulled up, nothing will sound right" then started to look for the short. I was in great dismay when I found it, it was in the SID chip. The Vdd and D7 pin where shorted on it.

Are you saying pins 22 and 28 (or pins 22 and 25) of the SID chip are shorted inside the SID chip?

Vdd of the SID chip is +12v or +9v, different to Vdd of everything else (+5v).

Vcc of the SID chip is +5v.

Just a bit confused, if you think the SID chip arrived dead, or your PCB was at fault.

• 2 weeks later...

ok, it is confirmed, my board is ok. that is because today i received 2 sids, tested them on the same board and both worked fine for over an hour  ;D

now, let's continue with a question:  :P

i want to make a stereo setup, checked the 8xSID Optimized PSU PDF and it says that the SO of the right SID has to be connected to the J14 of the CORE, and that the SC connections must (can?) be ommited. Do I really have to do this? Why is that so? It would be really nice if I could just make a 10-wire cable with two DIL connectors just like the traditional IDE cables in our PCs. Will it work??

And another one: (although very generic)  :-\

The DINX4 module is connected with the CORE module and I wanted to test it so I only connected one button (select #1). I connected one pin to the Vs and the other pin to D7. I push the button and nothing happens. Shouldn't this bring up a menu? I tried shortening directly Vs and D7 and still nothing. I checked the cable that connects the DIN with the CORE and it is ok. Am I doing something wrong?

I get closer to finishing my MBSID and i am really excited! You guys rock, thanks a lot for your help!

and that the SC connections must (can?) be ommited. Do I really have to do this? Why is that so?

Thats due to historical reasons. It doesn't hurt when you connect this one on a mbhp_sid_v3 module

The DINX4 module is connected with the CORE module and I wanted to test it so I only connected one button (select #1). I connected one pin to the Vs and the other pin to D7. I push the button and nothing happens. Shouldn't this bring up a menu? I tried shortening directly Vs and D7 and still nothing. I checked the cable that connects the DIN with the CORE and it is ok. Am I doing something wrong?

The first select button should change to the ensemble menu. I would propose to follow the debug instructions on this page: http://www.midibox.org/dokuwiki/din_module

Best Regards, Thorsten.

thanks a lot for your answer TK  :)

About that Stereo setup connection, i just used a IDC cable with three connectors, from which i cut the SO from the Right SID's connector and connected it to J14 of the CORE. I hope this is correct.

About the DIN:  >:(

The srio communication app works fine (measured even on the chip's pins directly), which means the interconnections are ok, but when i load the midio128 app, nothing works (if i'm using it correctly). Details:

I use smashtv's DIN R5 board.

The resistor pack orientation is ok.

I tried each of the four chips stuffed one by one in the first socket, tried with all sockets stuffed, tried every possible combination.

I made two cables for interconnection between CORE and DIN, even if srio works, just in case. Tried both.

Still nothing  :-\

Another quick question: how can i check if the stereo setup works now that i don't have a CS yet? Do I have to enable it via menu only? When i play sid tunes, or try presets via midi, only the right channel is heard.

Thanks a lot again!

EDIT: Stereo Works!!!! I had done a mistake in the audio out polarity (inversed, obviously) and my balanced audio interface seems to have canceled it. Now everything works fine except the DINX4 module... I'm off to paint the case and drill some holes!!  ;D ;D ;D