Possibilities for the MB-6582...

dubka

Could it ever be made possible to use the MB-6582 as an 8-voice poly-synth with 3 oscillators per voice?

That would be incredible!

Furthermore, could it ever be that you could configure the synth with different combinations - such as 4-voice poly (3 osc) and 12 mono (single osc)?  Or 4-voice poly and 4 mono (3 osc)?

I'm guessing 12 separate mono synths wouldn't be possible as some would have to share oscillators between 2 sids...?

This is just me dreaming what would be the ultimate use for an 8 sid synth...

Any ideas if it's possible?

Martin

ps - if an mb-sid v2 (with 2 sids) can be used as a 6-part multi-timbral mono synth, does that mean an mb-6582 can be 24-part multi-timbral?!

The question should be directed at whether "MB-SID V2" can do these things... MB-6582 is just one implementation of the hardware (MBHP modules) that can run the "MB-SID V2" firmware. I don't want people confused into thinking an MB-6582 PCB is the only way you can make MB-SID V2 with up to 8 SIDs, it's just one way of doing it.

To answer the question, anything is possible... the question is whether TK wants to implement it  ;D

But I think 8-voice poly is a bit hard, because the Lead engine is one voice by design, not two voice (one per SID)... you could in theory configure the Multi engine to be 2-voice (one voice per SID, so 3 osc) but it would be more limited in what you could do (eg. no mod matrix)... maybe some magic code could allow four Multi engines to share a note stack like in Super Poly mode (which only works atm with Lead engine).

Seriously, I think you should hear 4-voice Super Poly mode with 8 SIDs in four stereo pairs before you start wishing for more  ;D

Please note that you are talking about the MBSID V2 firmware, and not about Wilba's MB6582 hardware variant.

Could it ever be made possible to use the MB-6582 as an 8-voice poly-synth with 3 oscillators per voice?

This isn't possible with the lead engine due to conceptional reasons, but with the multi engine.

Use two instruments, assign them to different MIDI channels or keyboard zones. This can be done in the INS menu of the ensemble.

Assign the voices of the first instrument to left SID (VAs=L), and the voices of the second instrument to right SID (VAs=R). This has to be done in the CFG menu of the patch

Thereafter disable the Poly flag in CFG menu and you are done :)

Furthermore, could it ever be that you could configure the synth with different combinations - such as 4-voice poly (3 osc) and 12 mono (single osc)?  Or 4-voice poly and 4 mono (3 osc)?

Yes, all this can be done with multi engine. You only need to configure the voice assignments and MIDI channel assignments as desired.

'm guessing 12 separate mono synths wouldn't be possible as some would have to share oscillators between 2 sids...?

This is just me dreaming what would be the ultimate use for an 8 sid synth...

No problem, with multi patches you have access to 24 seperate mono synths.

if an mb-sid v2 (with 2 sids) can be used as a 6-part multi-timbral mono synth, does that mean an mb-6582 can be 24-part multi-timbral?!

Yep, MIDIbox SID V2 can be 24-part muli-timbral.

Just have a look into

http://www.ucapps.de/midibox_sid_manual_m.html

Best Regards, Thorsten.

Maybe it makes more sense to extend the maximum of 4 cores (1 master and 3 slaves) to 6 cores and have a 6-voice true stereo synth using just the Lead engine. That is...if you really need more than 4 voices. Many great polysynths work with only 6 voices or some even with only 5 (Prophet). Having it true-stereo is a big plus for me! And for my use 4-voices is really enough. I already have other synths to do the big poly stuff, the power of the MBSID V2 is mostly in the stereo option and the complex modulation options I think. It reminds me alot of my Ensoniq ESQ1, since this synth is also very over-engineered (in a good way) in the modulation section (lots of LFO's and EG's).

Greetings,

Rutger

That's fantastic!  Well done TK!  Seriously - you're a genius.

Oh, and just to clarify, I understand the difference between the mb-6582 and mb-sid v2.

What I should have said was "mb-sid v2 on an mb-6582"... I kind of took it for granted that everyone would be using v2 on an mb-6582.

Cheers,

Martin