pickit 2

theworm

It should be described in the manuals which are comming with the debugging tool. But so far I know, PICkit get use of the low-voltage programming mode, accordingly the RB5 pin cannot be accessed by the firmware anymore - you won't be able to use a LCD.

I'm sure that there are many people here who could burn and test the PIC for you. Where are you living?

Best Regards, Thorsten.

But I don't understand very well what you are saying.

Why I won't be able to use a LCD?

My english is poor...so I have difficult to understand...sorry..

I want to burn the pic on the core module, and connect the other modules after.

...mm...or is it my elettronic kwonledge very poor?!.....

I live in Italy, near Venice.

I'll try many ways, and if don't work....I'll ask someone to burn my pics for me!!!

Thank's a lot!!

• 1 year later...

pickit2 confirmed working with my midiboxen pics... by me, earlier today...

EDIT(EDIT):  the pic was burnt in HVP mode on a DIY icsp adapter with the pic out of the midibox core...

LCD works... i've got a ready message waiting for me to pick an app to upload from mios.

i burnt the bootloader with the pickit2, stuck the pic in the core and plugged it into the output of my radium 49 usb/midi keyboard and sent the mios blindly with no midi input from the core.  i did crank up the delay a few ms though just to be safe.

picture of my schematic for the DIY icsp programming adapter is attached below.  it uses an ic socket, a 6 pin header and 5 short lengths of stripped out cat5 cable... the schematic would be looking at the board from the bottom (single sided etched pcb)  (short the jumper on pin 38 to make it work right)

EDIT:  scale the layout so the pins are 0.100" apart if you are going to etch it!

4369_pic_adapter_png513d4a7304d2d0dc3c09

4369_pic_adapter_png513d4a7304d2d0dc3c09

once the bootloader code is burnt on the chip.. it disables the pin 38 for lvp use via a config bit.

unless i am completely missing something here... this process works.

asking because i am curious, not to be rude... how could it brick a chip?

4373_midibox-core-build_005_jpg3d3479b2f

4373_midibox-core-build_005_jpg3d3479b2f

Maybe something has changed... If you search (put 'LVP HVP' (sans quotes) in the box and select 'find any'), you'll find plenty of examples where it doesn't work. I won't quote myself (doesn't serve much purpose hehe), so here's a quote from TK:

this pin is only important to select the correct programming mode on a "virgin" or erased flash. Once the configuration data has been uploaded, the LVP flag is disabled and you don't have to take care about it anymore.

Another:

Please keep in mind that the LVP mode won't work

Details from smash:

No....It sounds like your PICs were programmed using low voltage programming mode, when high voltage mode is required.  (LVP vs. HVP) if you are reading the datasheets. 

Are you using a JDM?  If so you need a pulldown resistor connected to RB5 to invoke HVP mode.

(See http://www.avishowtech.com/mbhp/mbhp_jdmR2.html under "Design Modifications:")

Burning the bootloader in LVP mode allocates port pins to serial ISP that MIOS needs for other things, notably LCD display pins.

Dejavu:

Re: the beginnings of my very own midibox! :D

The possible brick-age could come from the LVP programming being active, and the pin connected. In bizarre circumstances the LCD could put the PIC in programming mode... Course, the config should prevent that.

Maybe something has changed... If you search (put 'LVP HVP' (sans quotes) in the box and select 'find any'), you'll find plenty of examples where it doesn't work.

Me being (sorta) new to the whole pic programming thing... i get confused easy with all the terminology.  seems as though my programmer will do either mode and the pic i am using was programmed in HVP with the adapter i made as long as the jumper in my schematic above is connected.

stryd_one, thanks for pointing out my mistake in the post.

short story,  you can use a pickit 2 and my adapter to program a pic for midibox.

I started this wiki page, if anyone has any edits, additions or better info feel free to insert it!  This process worked for me, so it should work for others.  For now it's under the tools section, wasn't sure where it should be.. but I think it should at least be there somewhere!

Pickit2 - Programming the core bootloader with a pickit2.

WIKI LINK: http://www.midibox.org/dokuwiki/doku.php?id=pickit2