AOUT Channels -- Alternate Configurations?

creatorlars

How easy is it to change the configuration of the 16 AOUT channels?  Since my SEQ's primary purpose is as a drum sequencer, the current configurations are somewhat limiting.  I'd like to be able to setup some of the channels to work with the 1ms pulse triggers instead of the Gate outputs, and send out Velocity on CV.

I am comfortable with simple code mods, I can usually find my way around -- I just wanted someone to advise me on the complexity or difficulty of a modification like this before I dove into it.  (I can work around it... just not ideal.)

Hi,

it's shouldn't be so complicated - look at MIDI_EVNT_Send_AOUT in midi_evnt.inc (please download the latest re-release of MBSEQ before doing modifications)

Parameters are: MIDI_EVNT0 (either 0x9n or 0xbn for Note/CC; n = channel), MIDI_EVNT1 (note/CC number) and MIDI_EVNT_VALUE (velocity/CC value)

Best Regards, Thorsten.

Very good.  Thank you Thorsten.  I will post my results and try to keep it clean enough to offer as a downloadable "alternate configuration file."

Two more quick questions...

If I wanted to keep the current AOUT configurations available... how difficult would it be to add an "AOUT2" port, with my alternative configurations for drum sequencing?

You've made quite the brilliant machine here.  The sequencer has been "my instrument" ever since I began playing music, so building the MBSEQ3 was a very personal experience for me.  There's nothing out there even compares, in terms of what features and control I would want in my dream machine.  Hopefully an opportunity will present itself, and I can help contribute to the community in some way very soon.

If I wanted to keep the current AOUT configurations available... how difficult would it be to add an "AOUT2" port, with my alternative configurations for drum sequencing?

Thats very difficult, because the 3 bits which are reserved for MIDI ports are already allocated:

;;    o WREG == 0: Default port (depends in MIOS Interface Definition)
;;    o WREG == 1: Internal port
;;    o WREG == 2..5: IIC0..IIC3
;;    o WREG == 6: Loopback to Sequencer MIDI Engine
;;    o WREG == 7: AOUT
[/code]

you would need to restructure a lot of things - it isn't really worth the effort.

Maybe it would be easier to (mis-)use an existing port instead, e.g. IIC4 (if no 4th IIC module is connected)

You've made quite the brilliant machine here.  The sequencer has been "my instrument" ever since I began playing music, so building the MBSEQ3 was a very personal experience for me.  There's nothing out there even compares, in terms of what features and control I would want in my dream machine.  Hopefully an opportunity will present itself, and I can help contribute to the community in some way very soon.

Thank you for the nice words! :)

Best Regards, Thorsten.