Troubleshooting MIDI - Possible Opticoupler Issue?

aminoplacid

Hi All,

I am so close to getting some sound from my SID but am having issues.  My setup:

I am working on the 4 core 4 SID setup with the optimized PSU (for 4 SID).

Currently I am starting with 1 core and 1 SID unit but also using the optimized psu to connect those. 

I have inserted all chips except the SID just in case anything goes wrong before I need to put it in.

M-Audio Midisport 4x4 USB Midi Interface.

I connected my LCD screen and powered it all up but the LCD was dim and showed only one line of blocks.  All my voltages have tested fine on both the CORE and SID.  I connected the core to the MIOSStudio to check if any data was being sent but nothing showed.  FYI, I got the CORE (and preburned PIC) and SID modules from Smash TV (FWIW).

I have run through much of the MIDI Troubleshooting guide but at the TEST CORE10, I get nothing back (assuming it is configured correctly).  I skipped TEST CORE11 as I couldn't connect with MIOSStudio.

TESTOUT1 passed but TEST OUT2 is non applicable as I am using the original C64 PSU.

The PC side was not too successful either.  I keep getting 0 bytes when do this.  Do not know what going on here.

The TEST IN1, TEST IN2 tests passed but TEST IN3, while I got the LED to light, the Sysex test did not work.  I haven't got too far into the optocoupler tests yet but TEST IN6 failed as the LED stayed on when M- was grounded.

I'm a bit frustrated and I'm not sure where to narrow my testing or if any of my PC tests are flawed.  Perhaps having the SID not in the setup yet is part of the problem?  Thanks in advance for any help!

Derek

Sleeping over it and starting "from scratch" is often a good solution - I'm happy for you that everything works now! ;D

Did it just work, or can you tell us (and possible future newbies running into the same problem) what excatly you changed/repaired/did different to get it to work?