What soundcard are you using?

Guest Xcen

As far as composing goes, since I do music with a lot of textures and spatial effects (anywayz, try to), I always use headphone... besides, I would consider listening to this kind of music (Think Autechre, Add n to (X), Download, Jake Mandell, Freeform, FX Randomiz, if you know any of these) in speakers is unrespectful hehehe

I agree that, for most kind of musics, having speakers is an important step.... but in that case I would just change the soundcard output and it would play on my 5.1 system... then I'm going to have 3 soundcards in my pc (I use the on board one as an amp for my bass lol)

As for headphones I'm having cheap one ATM but I'm going to buy some better stuff in the neasr future... any suggestion for that as well?

besides, I would consider listening to this kind of music (Think Autechre, .........) in speakers is unrespectful hehehe

I only know Autechre and i thinks it's a shame to listen to it with headphones. But that's my opinion and you have yours.

You should listen to it coming out of a massive soundsystem which blows you away!

hehe I'm affraind all I have are crappy CL inspire 5300 ;)

I like to listen to them with headphones because I feel the speakers are not rendering a lot of details correctly...

Although with proper speakers and volume.... but then the guy downstairs is porlly gonna kill me ;)

(I meant no offense by saying it was unrespectful btw ;) )

• 2 months later...

Hi all,

But in the meantime I also switched to RME Hammerfall DSP (+Multiface) - no driver & latency issues anymore +  8 analog IOs for realtime processing + support for Linux.  For me this card + the PC software are a replacement for the even more expensive Fx gear

I am still searching for a good laptop/soundcard combination. Most preferred is a powerbook G4 and RME multiface. I once read the laptop test on their homepage and it seemed to be that the computer and its interna play an important role when measuring performance (I/O latency). But this test is some kind of ancient, so if someone has a mac or a RME please tell me your experiences and your thoughts on this topic.

Especially if someone is using a laptop(pc/mac).

And Thorsten can you tell me what kind of computer your are using and how low you can go with the latency when using the RME?

thanks a lot

chriss

And Thorsten can you tell me what kind of computer your are using and how low you can go with the latency when using the RME?

it depends on the CPU load. In the last time I oftenly had to increase the latency to 12 mS for more complex song setups with >20 audio tracks + a lot of PlugIns for each track. For smaller environments and for Reaktor in standalone mode 3 mS is the best choice. CPU: Athlon 1.4 GHz

Best Regards, Thorsten.

• 2 weeks later...