I just finished my Midiphy build and just wanted to share my experience with building this box to you.
- Building is quite easy, i did my build in around 18 hours with a lot of testing etc. between.
- Soldering the SMD parts i did with 0.5 tin and i really recommend using a flux pen for the IC's . It makes the soldering so much cleaner. For the soldering of the IC's i used a Gullwing tip on my iron after looking at this video ( https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oKHsfTH_PvI ) . This really works and makes it quite easy to do without applying to much heat etc. For the normal soldering i used a thicker tin wire and no flux pen to speed up the job.
- I had some non responsive matthias caps due to soldering problems with the multicolour leds. Double check that the soldered CC pin really makes a good connection. Resoldering the CC connection solved this very easily.
- I would suggest when you are at the part of building everything in the case use the final firmware with hw file for testing. I first used the Seq_r file but had some strange things. When i used the final firmware i didn't see this occur.
- For the connection of the right board to the matrix board it was suggested to use a 5cm cable but this really is short. There is enough space to use something like 8cm.
- I didn't like the grey 3m 8pin connectors for the cables, they dont sit that tight when connected. When i used some black ones i had lying around they were much better
- For case screwing i mixed up the screws. I used the small black parker screws in the inside but it is better to put the large screws inside for mounting the panels and the small ones for the outside.
- When finalizing the case i noticed i got lcd dropouts etc. This was also mentioned in the troubleshooting forum of midiphy. When the case is closed the plastic screen protectors push on the displays a little which is fine but it also pushes the end of the cable to the idc on the back of the screens which might give some kind of shortage. I did some tweaking on the pin headers to get this fixed.
I really really recommend this box for building. The quality is really great, the oleds are superior over my old matrix screens in my other seq4 and the casing is really nicely done. Also the new workflow is really nicely done.
Thanks to tk for this awesome software. Guys from Midiphy, Hawkeye for the perfect detailed videos and all the people who help on this forum and support this beast of a machine. Can't wait to get the CV modular output panel.