MDP 16 why not MIDIBOX PAD

TUX

Hello

i'll see that akai make a PAD controller for there sampler and other machine

and i'll think it's possible with the midibox to make a clone of the MDP16 from AKAI but the problem  is where to find small drum pad and there reference

'i'll want baught a Z8 sampler and i think about a midi controller solution

i'll have an MB16 and want to add a drum pad MDP 16 style with only 8 PADs , it's suffisant :))

Best Regards, Olivier

ho yes , it's another story

i see to edrum how make it but there drum pad are bigger (it's for real usage not for touch it with a hand)

i don't know if it 's possible with the same technique to make small pads , i ask Admir for that.

for the other story , i supposed the drum pad is based on intensity level for velocity  ? , i must explore the edrum page

i really cant see it being that hard to use the ADC on the PIC to do this... Just a matter of whether you want it badly enough to write your own code...

I'm in the same situation with a sequencer, and after 5 years of waiting for someone else to build it, I'm gonna use MIOS as a basis and do some extra code, maybe you'll feel like doing the same...

FWIW it's pretty easy to pick up cheap trigger to midi convertor boxes and theres many drum machines that incorporate the feature into their design... Honestly it's probably cheaper and definitely faster to buy something like that and build your own triggers... Another thing I did hehe

piezos aren't bad, like in the edrum link, but they break easily.

if you use your hands (i.e. congas bongos) or sticks that can carry a charge (you just take off the tips aluminum sticks,  $30, but worth the price they never break.) you could use the touch sensors.

The down side of the touch sensors is you won't have the fealing of a real drum.

You know those guys who are always "drumming" on plates or whatever if music is somewhere played?

I´m one of those nervers.  ;D

Never played a drum, but always bouncing whatever comes in my way to get some cool rythem outta it. So that problem with the conducitivity isnt to great for me, but I certainly do understand your point as a (pro?) drummer. :)

the actual design of PAIA's requires something to change the capacitance of the trigger plate so like i said you may have to use aluminum sticks to carry charge to your body to act as a capacitor. Maybe you could use wood. anybody know? ???

PAY C I'm a pro "musician" and muical engineer. I do play drums as an amateur, but I know many drummers and know what they like to play. :D

final note i don't know which would be cheaper yet but the edrum triggers could be about $35 a trigger where as the PAIA design would be much less (depending on your trigger plate) also i might examine (if time allows) if PAIA's design allows for different kinds of plates to be used (ie for more bounce)

The Piezo triggers can be very cheap, and you can conceivably make something similar to the Roland HPD-15 (the surface at least).  Using practise pads is only one way to go.  The forum at http://go.to/edrum even has electronic drumsets made with pie tins.

The EDrum design will also be upgraded to 16 inputs, which should be enough for most applications.  The difficulty with Piezos sharing an enclosure, is that agitating one might trigger another.  So experiement with different foams and such to isolate one piezo from another.

The difficulty with Piezos sharing an enclosure, is that agitating one might trigger another.  So experiement with different foams and such to isolate one piezo from another.

Those thick (5mm) rubber foam mouse pads work very well as material for isolating piezo elements in drum triggers with multiple elements.  Mounting them in/with silicone caulk also helps (but you have to tune their response individually, as crosstalk will vary greatly with silicone mounting).

Have fun!

SmashTV

That's the best part about the EDrum Midi module, each piezo can be calibrated with a potentiometer.  It's really a pretty amazing module.  

Might be fantastic with a multiplexer that would allow its inputs to number up there with the MBHP.