I Just don't understand, I should be getting signal!

el_cuc0

Hello everybody, i have built my first midi controller using the kit from smash tv. The intention for this device is to control Traktor Studio 3.

So I bought the kit and didn't use all of the components because:

A) I don't need an LCD Screen.

B) I don't need incoming signal. In other words I do not intend to send midi instructions to my device.

C) I didn't use C5 or C6 (capacitors connected to J1) because I am supplying power from my computer's USB port.

I have put together an AIN Kit too and have only connected 4 pots to it just to get give it a simple test. I am providing power from usb, have all of the unused inputs connected to ground of the cable. I connect the MIDI cable, fire up midimon which is a terminal software on mac os x, and the log says that it resets every so often. I'm not getting a real CC message. I'm not sure what to do at this point, I have connected my multimeter to Tx and am getting a strong 5V signal. Have tested all the points and have even verifired outgoing signal from the AIN to the inputs of the core.

I throw my hands up in despair. Please help.

hi

my first htought is that since you are powering from USB and using AINs then it may be possible that the supply is unstable causing the PIC to crash

do this:

1)unplug the supply to the pots or just disconnect the AIN

2)try to supply with a stable 5 volts

3)use C5

hope it helps

Simone

well, i've measured the incoming power and the power going through the pots and it is stable. The incoming signal is 5.03V and fluctuates from 5.02 to 5.04, but not a really significant power fluctuation.

Also, how do the commercial midi controllers get their power from usb? i have opened up my m-audio trigger finger and don't see a step-up transformer or anything obvious.

The incoming signal is 5.03V and fluctuates from 5.02 to 5.04, but not a really significant power fluctuation.

A very fast drop of voltage can t be detected by a normal multimeter but it would be enough to crash the PIC.

Also, how do the commercial midi controllers get their power from usb? i have opened up my m-audio trigger finger and don't see a step-up transformer or anything obvious.

Assuming there is need for that they would use a DC-DC IC.

i am not sure 100% but it is worth a try, USB is tricky (if you have USB1.1 even less power!)

Simone

My trigger finger uses alpha sliders and linear pot's. However, the dc-input plug requires a 9V adapter.

I connected opened MIOS Studio and got absolutely no signal, but got signal on midimon.

It's not my midi interface or plug because I use them frequently. I even used them today on a mix.

In regards to your recommendation to using a stable 5V supply, will the addition of the 7805 stabilize the power.  :-\

Adding an 7805 to a 5V supply is not a good idea as the voltage regulator has a voltage drop itself. This means you need to feed it at least 7V to get your stable 5V.

As I don't see this mentioned I'm just really curios as to how you installed the application on the PIC without MIDI In. I'm assuming what you keep getting is an upload request every 2 seconds.

As I don't see this mentioned I'm just really curios as to how you installed the application on the PIC without MIDI In. I'm assuming what you keep getting is an upload request every 2 seconds.

i bought a pre-programmed chip from smash tv.

Ok. So you have MIOS on your PIC.

But you need to upload an applikation via MIDI before you can use your Box. You will of course need a midi-In!

greets

Doc

That's what I don't understand. I bought a preprogrammed chip that is supposed to have everything i need, why do i have to upload anything? I never anticipated sending instructions to my device so that is why i never put in the Midi in components. I'll do that tonight and post an update.

In the meantime, any other ideas?

There are no other ideas - THAT IS the problem.

How could smash know what box you intend to build with the PIC you bought? There's about 20 different apps + tons of custom ones. You bought a PIC with an operating system on it - not the application you'll actually run on the OS. Hence you did buy a preprogrammed chip, but not one that has all the stuff on it that you'll need. If you can link me to any page that says that it's got everything on it you'll need, I'll give you a cookie. Leaving out the MIDI In parts is definitely not a (wise) choice ;D

Also, how do the commercial midi controllers get their power from usb?

USB power is already regulated 5V DC.

That's what I don't understand. I bought a preprogrammed chip that is supposed to have everything i need, why do i have to upload anything?

Yeh you bought a PC with Windows on it, that should do everything, right? :D That chip only has the bootloader and MIOS - that's the operating system, not the application.

I never anticipated sending instructions to my device so that is why i never put in the Midi in components

Then you haven't read enough. Read the wiki. Read ucapps.de

In the meantime, any other ideas?

Follow my signature's advice ;) When you do, you will find the midi troubleshooting guide. Do that. All will be well in no time ;)

I've researched for 4 months. In fact, I've done enough research that I was able to anticipate specifically you posting comments about me not doing enough research if i were to post a question about something I couldn't find the answer to on my own. Sometimes it's about not knowing what questions to ask.

I've researched for 4 months. In fact, I've done enough research that I was able to anticipate specifically you posting comments about me not doing enough research if i were to post a question about something I couldn't find the answer to on my own. Sometimes it's about not knowing what questions to ask.

Don't jump on stryd_one - someone's gotta be the bad guy that points out the obvious: If you've researched for 4 months and didn't know there's different applications, you seriously need to work on your research skills.

Let us know when the MIDI In components are stuffed - hope it all works well from now on :D

ok, stuffede the midi in components, was able to get sysex id to popup in mios. have dled the midibox64 application... thanks to you guys! have gone in the asm and have made basic changes such as number of pots and deactivation of mux since im only using 4 pots. however, im not getting an upload request.

just giving you guys an update of my progress, looking into upload requests and such. any tips would be appreciated at this point.

also, i was just teasing stryd. as i was typing in this post, i had a gut-feeling i was gonne get told to search and blah blah blah. I just get so fried from all the research after a hard days work crunching numbers and doing presentations all day that it makes my comprehension of the research challenging. you know that fuzzy feeling you get in your eye-socket and eyelids? that's me 120 hours a week. lol :o

Check stryd_one's signature, the link will take you to a wiki page that has some info and a link on MIDI Troubleshooting - go through that step by step. That should solve your problems - if it doesn't ask :-)