Using J5 for DOUT

napierzaza

So you can use J5 for DIN as well?

yes :)

How useful is using it for analog inputs? I was thinking of possibly a joystick but there isn't much on that in the documentation. Has anyone been very successful with this? I'd like to know how useful it might be.

Very  ;D Actually, connecting analog stuff is the original purpose of J5. (mis)using it as DIN or DOUT is the special case. Try searching the forum for "Joystick", there should be some results.

S

Okay, so I've been thinking, and possibly having a LFO or Filter joystick control might be very interesting. However I'm getting a lot of static on my searches because most of the stuff about it are from 1.7 or lower SID firmwares; and from what I can tell it's remarkably different now. I basically have one joystick I might use for LFO(because I have no panel controls for that) or the Filter (maybe replacing some of my panel controls?).

Does anyone have any pertinent SID 2.0 information?

EDIT: from what I can tell there are options in the setup_*.asm for different AOUT options. However I noticed that everything is separated. What I'd like is to have one joystick, and let's say, oscilator select buttons to shift what it's controlling. That way I might even be able to control LFO, OSC, and Filters by including a joystick and the selection buttons one the panel instead of 12-ish sticks.

As you already noticed, the old programming examples are obsolete. The usage of up to 8 pots (or 4 joysticks) is natively supported by the V2 CS; each pot can be assigned to two parameters with a definable min/max range. The information is stored in a patch, which means: for each patch you can optimize the parameter mapping and range for best live usage.

Unfortunately, your exact usecase isn't natively supported. There isn't a button which allows you to switch between parameter sets (this would be difficult to realize with the current code, too many places which need to be changed), but maybe you like the already implemented solution much more? Parameter assignments can be easily changed in the Knobs menu.

Best Regards, Thorsten.

Is there anyway to activate only 4 J5 pins for AOUT, and use the other for for DOUT?

Oops I may have just screwed up... I was editing the subject to say DOUT instead of AOUT... 

In your above quote did you mean 4 for AIN and 4 for DOUT?

What's the actual aim here?

If ADCON1.PCFG is set to 0xd instead of 0x6 (see PIC18F4685 datasheet), this should work. But I don't know, how much additional noise will be added to the analog inputs - the pots could start to jitter.

Best Regards, Thorsten.

This is about 99% offtopic distraction: You could run an AOUT from J5... But I'm sure seppo is right, and you mean AIN.

DIN = Digital Input = On/Off input, EG a switch

DOUT = Digital output = On/Off output, EG, an LED

AIN = Analog input = 0V...5V input, EG, a pot (a joystick is two pots)

AOUT = Analog Output = 0V...5V output, EG, a CV output

This is about 99% offtopic distraction: You could run an AOUT from J5... But I'm sure seppo is right, and you mean AIN.

yeah you're of course right - only in the sense that you could connect the digital control lines for an AOUT module there. But there's no reason to do so, and in contrast to the other variants the J5 pins themselves can't output analog voltages. That's what I meant :)

S