Chronulator (cool meter clock kit)

Sasha

Okay, so the Nixie takes normal 5V logic signals and is powered separately with higher voltage?

If it is just a binary coded decimal, MB_NG can do that:

http://svnmios.midibox.org/filedetails.php?repname=svn.mios32&path=%2Ftrunk%2Fapps%2Fcontrollers%2Fmidibox_ng_v1%2Fcfg%2Ftests%2Fleddig1.ngc

led_matrix_pattern=<pattern-number>	LED patterns can be specified if an event should forward its value to a LED_MATRIX element:
1: the first LED pattern specified with LED_MATRIX_PATTERN n=1 commands
2: the second LED pattern specified with LED_MATRIX_PATTERN n=2 commands
3: the third LED pattern specified with LED_MATRIX_PATTERN n=3 commands
4: the fourth LED pattern specified with LED_MATRIX_PATTERN n=4 commands
Digit1: outputs the first (rightmost) BCD digit of the value. See also cfg/test/leddig1.ngc
Digit2: outputs the second BCD digit of the value: (value / 10) % 10
Digit3: outputs the third BCD digit of the value: (value / 100) % 10
Digit4: outputs the fourth BCD digit of the value: (value / 1000) % 10
Digit5: outputs the fith BCD digit of the value: (value / 10000) % 10
LcDigit: converts the value directly into a BCD digit as used for the Logic Control protocol. See also cfg/test/leddig2.ngc
LcAuto: to handle the Logic Control protocol correctly, this pattern type will set the pattern number (1..4) according bit 5..4 of the received MIDI event value. Bit 3..0 will select the pattern position, and the 6th bit will set the "Center LED". See also cfg/test/logictrl.ngc for the usage

They usually operate somewhere around 170volts so it is definitely something to be extremely cautious with. It is a separate high voltage power supply connected to the anode,  the cathodes are all connected to the 74141 or K1551d1 like Antichambre said, the 74141 is connected to a 74HC595, a dout module ! I've never seen THX 1138, i should watch and try and spot them! 

For the coding, I would have to use the template for logic control for pro tools. I'm just not sure exactly how to forward the mtc digits to send on/off messages to the dout's outputs

I've tried to forward the timecode values to a single led just as a test, but I don't know how to implement it properly. or if this is even the right direction. I tried from this section, which uses a sysex stream:

# this generic receiver (without controller assignment) receives the MTC digits
# and notifies all events which select syxdump_pos=10:<pos-in-dump>
EVENT_RECEIVER id=10  type=SysEx  stream="0xf0 0x00 0x00 0x66 ^dev 0x10 ^dump"

But I'm not sure what to do.. I would think somehow forwarding the syxdump_pos to whatever the "led" outputs would be for the corresponding digit, if that makes sense.

So for example, if syxdump_pos=:10:3, then forward what is needed to leds 1-4 (1=off, 2=off, 3=on, 4=on in this case for the digit "3" on the nixie tube) Would this be essentially what I would need to do?

This section shows the cc values for direct access to the mtc digits within the logic control protocol:

# direct access to the digits via CC#64..CC#73
EVENT_LED_MATRIX id=17 led_matrix_pattern=LcDigit  type=CC chn= 1 cc= 64  syxdump_pos=10:0
EVENT_LED_MATRIX id=18 led_matrix_pattern=LcDigit  type=CC chn= 1 cc= 65  syxdump_pos=10:1
EVENT_LED_MATRIX id=1 led_matrix_pattern=LcDigit  type=CC chn= 1 cc= 66  syxdump_pos=10:2
EVENT_LED_MATRIX id=2 led_matrix_pattern=LcDigit  type=CC chn= 1 cc= 67  syxdump_pos=10:3
EVENT_LED_MATRIX id=3 led_matrix_pattern=LcDigit  type=CC chn= 1 cc= 68  syxdump_pos=10:4
EVENT_LED_MATRIX id=4 led_matrix_pattern=LcDigit  type=CC chn= 1 cc= 69  syxdump_pos=10:5
EVENT_LED_MATRIX id=5 led_matrix_pattern=LcDigit  type=CC chn= 1 cc= 70  syxdump_pos=10:6
EVENT_LED_MATRIX id=6 led_matrix_pattern=LcDigit  type=CC chn= 1 cc= 71  syxdump_pos=10:7
EVENT_LED_MATRIX id=7 led_matrix_pattern=LcDigit  type=CC chn= 1 cc= 72  syxdump_pos=10:8
EVENT_LED_MATRIX id=8 led_matrix_pattern=LcDigit  type=CC chn= 1 cc= 73  syxdump_pos=10:9