Return of the LC Q's >

d2k

Hey...

I'm still debating the control layout of my LC after a few re-deisgns, and now after learning of this 'layer' feature of MIOS (which i think i kinda get ;p) I've still got a few q's:

1. I am right in assuming I can have upto (for example) 3 LC function assigned to 1 button - ie, mute would be layer 1, solo layer 2 and rec ready on layer 3. I'd then have 3 buttons to select the layer and also a shift button - so to get to a layer i'd hold shift then click the layer and voila the button would map to what's been set...that right? Save me a lotta space and drillage if so ;p

Just thought, could u assign a layer the functions of an XT box? So you could then have and LC on layer 1 and an XT on layer 2, and mebbe the functions of an MC on layer 3... ;p

2. I'll be using the to-COM for the LC box, but also would like to intergrate the MBUSB module - or could I use the MBLINK Jumper on the USB? Would that then occupy that midi i/o or could I still have the 2 midi i/o but just make sure the midibox I plug in has it's MBLINK param set to forwarding point (LC would be endpoint)? Hmmm, just remembered - the LC 'takes control' of the whole port doesnt it...

External LED Meters Testing:

To test the 8 External LED meters (10 LEDs per Meter) do I have to configure my own test app? I'm just using a DOUTX4 with the first  IC's stuffed (8 bridges on the 1st IC) connected to CORE:J8 to test with. Just wanna make sure the wireing of the LEDs are all good :).

12 Digit MTC Display:

How do I go about connecting these to a DOUT module? Does each section (Assignment/Bars/Beats etc) require it's own IC? So, would there'd be 6 IC's needed in total (5 IC's for each of the 5 sections and 1 for all the anode pins)?

Won't the extra LED Meters and 12 digit MTC display also bump up the amount of DOUTs input pins needed to over 128? Would another core be needed then?

With the 18F MF calibration app, I used one motorfader and tested it on each of the 8 MF Jumpers to make sure it was working, 2-8 worked fine (I think ;P - when turned on the fader moved anyway)... however on Jumper MF1 the motor wont go..I've checked, re-checked and checked again the connections of the 4427 for this motor and also changed the IC - am i missing sumthing, it should work right?

Thinks thats it..for now neways :)

Peace...

Dan

Hey Pay...

For that LTC-Display look at the Midmonitor App on www.ucapps.deFor that LTC-Display look at the Midmonitor App on www.ucapps.de

Yes, I have done - but the application used on those digits is defferent to what the LC would use - 12 digits instead of 8 and also split into different funtions - not just left/right... which i why i'm asking for the connection hookup...

Dan

Hi Dan,

to 1: only two layers are provided. So, you could assign Mute to the

first, Solo to the second layer, and use two layer buttons to select

the layer. And of course also a shift button if you want. :)

It isn't possible to assign a function of a second LC, because the

protocol doesn't support channels or Client IDs. Only a trick could

help: if you've experiences with the Map-Feature of MIDI-Ox and

MIDI Yoke, you could try to route the MIDI events to virtual

MIDI ports depending on a MIDI channel or whatever. I never tried this

(because I've no need for this), so you have to make your own

experiements ;-)

to 2: the MBLink port of the USB module is nothing else than a

direct connection to J11 of the core module. It replaces the LTC.

MBLink "Forwarding" and "Endpoint" are features which don't help

for the LC protocol, because it requires a direct Point-to-Point

connection (like mentioned by you)

External Meters: will work in exactly the same way like the LED rings,

so you could change LEDRINGS_SR_CATHODES and *_ANODES_* setting to

test the LEDs

LED digits: possibly simmilar to the MTC from the MIDImon, the

additional digits will also be connected to the first and third

SR (so that 6 digits are on the left, and 6 digits on the right

side). The 4 additional anode lines will be connected to the

4th register.

You are right, due to the 128 DOUT pins limitation it's not possible to

use so much LEDs like without the meters and MTC display.

A Possible configuration:

o 3 SR for 8 LED rings

o 3 SR for 8 meters

o 4 SR for the MTC display (4 spare pins)

makes 6*8 + 4 = 52 free DOUTs for LED functions

Best Regards, Thorsten.

Hey...

Few more q's came to mind. Can i use the spare inputs on the shift registers used on the LED meter rings for the MTC display digits, or just a regualr LED assigned to a LC function? For instance, i'm making a sep display box (ran outta sapce on the enclosure i originally got ;p) to house the LCD, MTC digits, LED meters and a few other single LED's. I'm now breadboarding a DOUT module to take care of all the LEDs and will fit in this display case. This is the breakdown:

1st SR: 8 LEDs (Cathodes for Meters).

2nd SR: 8 LEDs (Anodes for Meters).

3rd SR: 2 LEDs (Anodes for Meter) remaining 6 used for G/F/E/D/C/B of the right side MTC digits.

4th SR: A/Dot of right side MTC digits, remaing 6 for anodes.

5th SR: 6 for remaing MTC anodes. 2 for MTC left side.

6th SR: 4 for MTC left side. 4 left free for additional single LEDs. Job dun ;p

Would that be cool ye? Then i'd just connect this to the end of the main dout chain which would be in the main control enclosure...

Cheers

Dan

Hi Dan,

> > External Meters: will work in exactly the same way like the LED rings,

> > so you could change LEDRINGS_SR_CATHODES and *_ANODES_* setting to

> > test the LEDs

> change these to what? I just wired them up as described for the led

> rings pdf...i hope that was right Shocked...

yes, this was correct. The midibox_lc application allows you to specify

where these shift registers are located. Just take a look into the

main.asm file of midibox_lc

> So the 4th register would have 4 brdiges and 4 resistors stuffed for an

> additionl 4 LED inputs right?

yep!

> Can i use the spare inputs on the shift registers used on the LED meter

> rings for the MTC display digits, or just a regualr LED assigned to a LC function?

Would be cool, but I cannot support the shifting of multiplexed pins as

a general solution, such a flexible routine would cost a lot of performance.

However, after I've implemented this stuff, I could tell you how to modify

the firmware so that the anodes/cathodes pins can be assigned to any pin

(hardcoded solution).

Best Regards, Thorsten.

Hey T...

I could tell you how to modify  

the firmware so that the anodes/cathodes pins can be assigned to any pin  

(hardcoded solution).  

Great, might try it after the box is more complete - atm I just want to get this display box workin :) So i've just wired as normal - including hand soldering with wire the 12 MTC digits. Is there any test I can do with the MTC digits as of now? or do they require new handlers or functions written for them first in MIOS?....

Also, i'm still curious as if I could use a 2nd core to handle the extra DOUTS

Cheers...

Dan

PS: This GPC business - is that related to the layer function? what other dedicated MIOS controls d'ya rek i should also include on the box?

Hi Dan,

no there isn't an application available for testing the MTC display - just wait some days until I've finished the SID CS... ;-)

2nd core: sure, this works. Just upload the MIDIbox LC application with a different configuration into the second core. Only the MIDI In of this core has to be connected in this case.

The GPC option is only an immediate solution, the final one will be more powerfull. It allows you to send up to 128 CC's to another program, i.E to Reaktor. You will see 8 CCs on the display when entering this mode, they can be controlled by the 8 V-pots. With the Jog-Wheel you are able to shift the "V-pot window" to the other CC's. However, the final GPC mode will also support the Motorfaders, customized strings and customized MIDI events.

Best Regards, Thorsten.